Is the Transporter

I'm considering buying a Logitech Transporter to upgrade the sound of my computer/WiFi system. Logitech told me that the Transporter (SE)is being phased out and were frankly surprised that it was still on their website!

Questions for the expert masses...

- Buy one while I can or wait until the next big thing comes out? (and what is that?)

- Will/can the Transporter replace my preamp (Proceed AVP2)?

I have a Sonos set up now but I want better sound in my listening room. A DAC is always a possibility but I like the flexibilty and convenience a Transporter offers. I feel like the Transporter could be a great find or doorstop/boat anchor in the future...Your suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
vincent
I have a Transporter (as well as 3 Duet's) and the Transporter is a great piece of kit. There is still nothing that does what it can years after its release.

First, it's more versatile than other solutions because it has more inputs. With the streamer to DAC route you are already using up one digital input for streamed music. The Transporter converts the music internally, so you still have all the digital inputs to use for other devices such as PVR and DVD player.

It has both balanced and single ended outputs which not all other DAC's have.

The volume control is digital attenuation, which I'm pretty sure is the same method that W4S uses. The single ended outputs of the Transporter have jumpers that can be set though to match your power amp if you do want to use it as a pre-amp. The jumpers don't affect the balanced outs.

Another good thing about the Transporter is it's resolution. Stereophile measured almost 20 bits of resolution, which is still pretty much state of the art performance, so you can attenuate its output quite a bit before it becomes audible. It's other measurements are also superb.

You can also control the Transporter with either wi-fi or IR. You can control it with your smartphone, the supplied remote, your computer/iPad or your learning remote. I have it programmed into my Harmony One so that when I choose an activity the Transporter automatically selects the right input for the desired activity.

It also reduces the box and cable count by combining the transport and DAC into one, and the display is a nice bonus that no other DAC can match.

If that wasn't enough, it also sounds pretty good too.
Thanks for the feedback on the Transporter, you make a strong case. I would be looking at an 'SE' version which removed the front knob and the TransNav control from the front. I'd rather have the old version but functionally they are the same.

It is interesting how quickly digital music technology is evolving. I just want to be sure that I really like what I buy because it will be obsolete VERY quickly.
Don't know if you are still looking, but the logitech website is showing the transporter se right now at $1299 instead of the normal $1499. Plus, it appears that they have some trade up program where you can give them an old piece of logitech kit and get 20% off. I don't know if that works with a "sale" price, but if it did, that would drop the transporter SE down to a little over $1K.
Its nice to know that the transporter offer more options. More importantly to me though, is the difference in sound.

Is there anyone out there who has both the duet and the transporter who can tell me from their personal experience with standard redbook CD sources streaming from a computer, how the sound from the digital out from the Logitech Transporter compare to the Squeezebox Duet?