Halide Design - MF X-DAC v3, vs Benchmark DAC?

I'm wanting to take the plunge and move from CDs to a Mac Mini-based digital front end.

Current system includes Musical Fidelity X-Ray V3 CD, A5.5 integrated amp, X-DAC V3, X10 V3, X-Can V3, Focal Profile 928 spkrs.

A year or two back, I tried outputting Apple lossless files from a MacBook Pro via an Airport Express to the Toslink input of the X-DAC. The results were less than impressive - quality was much lower than CD from the X-Ray V3 through the same DAC.

What I want to do is run high-res (at present, CD quality, burned from CD) files from a new Mac Mini into the system. But, quality has to be equal to CD (i.e., well above the level of the Airport Express/X-DAC connection). Don't have the Mac Mini yet, it would be bought specifically for this use.

Weighing several options...

1. USB output from Mac Mini to the existing MF X-DAC V3 via a Halide Design Bridge, USB to RCA (the X-DAC V3 has Toslink and RCA inputs; Toslink currently used for a BluRay player; RCA currently used for X-Ray CD). This means buying the Halide Design bridge, and hoping it will work well with existing DAC.

2. USB output from Mac Mini to a new DAC -- either a Benchmark USB DAC (this would also negate the need for the X-Can V3; so I'd sell the X-DAC and X-Can); or the new MF DAC-1; or another high quality DAC. It would be good to have a DAC with several switchable inputs, hence the appeal of the Benchmark. But, this route means buying a new DAC and hoping it will do the job.

Anyone have experience with similar set-ups; or any related advice?

Many thanks,

Keith
kwnyc
The beauty of the apple is it has a toslink out and it will sound MUCH better than USB (more air, detail, bass depth, less bright). I tried a bunch and ended up with the benchmark DAC-HDR and a mac mini using plain old toslnk. Don't forget to get and iPhone or iPod touch/ipad to use as a remote for iTunes. You can set the mini to boot iTunes when you turn it on and use it as a headless unit when you want to.

My point is buy what ever DAC you want you are not tied to USB and I personally try to avoid it.
I saw you have not tried your A5's DAC yet. Give that a go and upgrade if you want later. Benchmark has a 30 day trial... No harm trying it. I am sure others do too.
Thanks for the suggestions.

So, a little experimentation goes a long way...

1. I tried the A5.5 USB input straight from a Mac USB output (CD file copied as AIFF file to Mac) -- not a disaster, but not great, sounded very compressed compared to CD. Not acceptable, and not the solution.

2. I tried the digital optical output from a Mac into the Toslink input of my existing MF X-Dac v3; again comparing CD to same files copied as AIFF to Mac. *Amazing results* !! Output is almost indistinguishable using Mac Toslink input to DAC compared to CD coax input to same DAC (output from DAC, regardless of source, goes to a MF X10 vs3 and then to MF A 5.5 integrated) with same source file on CD or Mac.

So, this is clearly the way to go - use the existing DAC with toslink output from Mac. No need to buy a new dac or halide bridge, just a dedicated mac Mini, and reconfigure some existing cables.

Happy days!