The OFFICAL Apple TV thread

I have purchase an Apple TV recently and have looked around the net to find quite a few others have and are trying to integrate this into a decent stereo setup. The purpose of this thread is not to debate the merits of Apple TV but to help users (myself included) find ways of improving sound from their streaming device. I would like to start the discussion myself by asking a few questions:

Has anybody found any third party software which can play iTunes files (WAV, IAFF,) to an Airport express?

If so what do you use?

2. What Toslink do you use on your Apple TV? What is the length?

3. Have you considered or used an after market power cable? If so what were the results?
lush
Thanks Nieuwen. I've skimmed the computer 'phile site, but haven't dug too deep. Maybe when funds recover and everything else is settled, I'm really enjoying the ATV1 and Rega DAC combo, so there's no sense of urgency to change it. There's always better.
Hello everyone.

Kbarkmian- have you tried the USB connection on your REGA DAC? How is it compared to the rDAC?

I have an apple TV (2nd gen) as everybody knows it only streams data (music) from my library. Do you guys think its still "better" to have HDD i.e. laptop rather than music stream?

Also I would like to add, my system (Home theater)connects the ATV2 to BOSE. It's showing me that the data it recieves is already PCM?-- isn't that already converted from digital signal to analog? SO,,, does it means that the ATV2 has its own DAC??? Sorry if this has been answered before as I was in & out on audio scene (As of August 2010 I have dismantled my 2 channel system)

LUSH- how are you liking the Sim/Dyn combo? I have the same speaker but got the Exposure 2010S as int. amp?
Can you bypass the Apple tv d/a conversion by connecting it to an external high end dac?
Kops
Yes you sure can.The Apple TV first generation provides a Toslink digital output .I am not so sure about the second generation although most likely it probably does.
Pos ta pate kato tora? Ehoume kairo na ta poume.
Efhome na einai ola kala.
Giorgos
Jastorg1 -

I have not tried the USB input on the Rega DAC, and have not heard the USB on the rDAC, so no opinions from me. I don't want my computer tied to my system, hence the reason why I went with the Apple TV gen 1.

The only way to find out if a laptop would be better than the AVT2 would be to try it out. No one can tell you what you'll hear, then can only tell you what they hear. If I listened to what people told me I'll hear, everything would sound great and horrible at the same time!

PCM is a digital signal, not analog. I may be wrong, but I think PCM is basically a 2 channel digital signal, whereas DSD is multichannel. Someone will probably rightfully refute that.