Digitalmeisters - Thoughts on Olive.....

Just starting to think about using a music server. I don't want to use a laptop, but a dedicated music server. What is the experience out there with the gear from Olive products across the line. Will I need an external DAC for the type of quality I am use to (most recently I've been using Accustic Arts and EMM Labs). What are the alternatives that function similarly in terms of storage, interface, and DAC. I am a complete novice to this music server approach, so I just want to learn as I start getting my mind around the whole new approach (relatively new) to digital playback.
pubul57
The Logitech Touch does seem like a good way to dip one'stoe in the water and internet radio is also an appealing possibility. I think there might be a very legitimate issue of how much it would cost to create hi-rez versions of all the music already available in Redbook, and I'm not sure we have much of an emerging audiophile culture to drive the demand for it by the masses accustomed to MP3 players. It is an interesting question on the prodcution side, and whether or not we need greater bandwidth [?] for providing fast downloads - like a minute for a typical album. I'm not even sure the download model makes sense over time - why take of the space, it does seem like a real time music stream, on demand is where this should be heading one day, ala Netflix. I would pay $10/month to have that kind of universal, wireless access. Though at my age, I am likely to be playing my 3000+ CDs for a long time, till the piolycarbonate starts breaking down....
That Logitech Squeeze Box Touch really does seem like a good first step to familiarize myself with the technology and jargon. I don't even own an iPod, so.....
That Logitech Squeeze Box Touch really does seem like a good first step to familiarize myself with the technology and jargon.
Agree completely. I went a little deeper since the only options at the time were Transporter or SB and I was having a major domestic issue w 1000 cds in the living room and only storage for about 850!!! I would read the primer at computeraudiophile.com and give the Touch a try. The SQ w my Modwright Transporter is outstanding but if you're not having any real issues w CDs and just want to see what's up, definitely get a Touch, which will play back 24/96 and maybe 24/192. And yes, the SQ w Pandora is surprisingly good.
Pubul57:

I think the closest to your idea (and accidently mine too) is the Pacific Valve music server:

http://www.pacificvalve.us/CYIndex.html

You can download, or rip your files on your main computer in your office and then wirelessly move them to this server in your listening room, attached to your system and where use short digical cable to your DAC (my APL HiFi SACD/CD Player with digital input)

You can manage it from your listening chair using their remote and small (or big) flat screen.

Because they use solid state drive their capacity is still limited (0.75 TBytes) but you can add later on.

No other music server in industry (at reasonable prices) can do the same.

If I would have main computer in my listening room I would approach the Neil from Sound Science, he is true hifi engineer but he does not have this wireless capability to move [NOT TO STREAM or PLAY] files across one room boundary - to the best of my knowledge

All The Best in your search - please report, as I have similar philosphy [ I don;t care where to store files, I can buy a hard drive]
My Olive 04 stopped working after a few days , and was returned . Cost me almost $500 with restocking charge and shipping , Sound quality was not that great , even with a DAC .