Digitalmeisters - Thoughts on Olive.....

Just starting to think about using a music server. I don't want to use a laptop, but a dedicated music server. What is the experience out there with the gear from Olive products across the line. Will I need an external DAC for the type of quality I am use to (most recently I've been using Accustic Arts and EMM Labs). What are the alternatives that function similarly in terms of storage, interface, and DAC. I am a complete novice to this music server approach, so I just want to learn as I start getting my mind around the whole new approach (relatively new) to digital playback.
pubul57
The Olive stuff looks very tempting. My Rega dealer said he has a customer who bought one and compared it to a Rega Apollo in the shop. The Apollo was better, but it was close. That means something coming from a guy who lost a sale IMO. The customer kept the Olive, I think it was the 4.

I've stayed away due to all the bugs I've heard about their software. They have/had a forum, and there were a ton of complaints. Amazon sells them, and there's a ton of complaints there too. Very few complaints about sound quality and mechanical reliability though.

Have you considered something like an Apple TV and external DAC? Very cheap and easy to use. Install iTunes, rip CDs as Apple Lossless, store them on an external hard drive, and you're done.

Sonos makes great products too, as does Logitech (Squeeezebox).

Many people like using a Mac mini as a server. Haven't tried it personally.
I'm open to all ideas. I do feel like there is a lot of dust to settle with all the competing approaches, which is a bit confusing, and probably not fully sorted yet. I'd not heard about the software problems, but that is certainly the sort of thing that has kept me on the sidelines so far. So, it is search for the best storage and delivery system, maybe into something like a Berkeley Alpha DAC. Mac and Apple TV might be a first low cost approach to dabble with this, as I've been thinking of getting a MAC anyway. Computers seems to be getting more powerful for less and less, and I'm not sure the Audio industry has caught on to that approach (yet).
Dedicated Mac Mini is the way to go as long as you don't start a "Mac Mini - Best Server Ever" thread... LOL
You're right, there is going to be a LOT of dust in this area over the next year or two (at least). I think if I were going to get a stand-alone music server right now and didn't want it to be real fiddly, I would go to Sound Science and get one of theirs. I've never dealt with them but Neal seems to have a good reputation for knowing what he's doing, treating people right and selling very good products.
[/url]http://www.soundsciencecat.com/MusicVault.html[/url]

All this being said, I have a Logitech Touch right now and it's a lot of fun. I'm just waiting to see where everything heads. Many companies are getting into this area now in various forms (Bryston, Naim, etc.) so it should be fun!