The CD player is dead.......

I am still waiting for someone to explain why a cd player is superior to storing music on a hard drive and going to a dac. Probably because you all know it's not.

Every cd player has a dac. I'll repeat that. Every cd player has a dac. So if you can store the ones and zeros on a hard drive and use error correction JUST ONCE and then go to a high end dac, isn't that better than relying on a cd player's "on the fly" jitter correction every time you play a song? Not to mention the convenience of having hundreds of albums at your fingertips via an itouch remote.

If cd player sales drop, then will cd sales drop as well, making less music available to rip to a hard drive?
Maybe, but there's the internet to give us all the selection we've been missing. Has anyone been in a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The music section has shown shrinkage worse than George Costanza! This is an obvious sign of things to come.....

People still embracing cd players are the "comb over" equivalent of bald men. They're trying to hold on to something that isn't there and they know will ultimately vanish one day.

I say sell your cd players and embrace the future of things to come. Don't do the digital "comb over".
devilboy
Post removed 
How long does it take for a cloud based backup service to back up 1Tb worth of files I wonder?

Also, how long to restore 1 Tb of files as well if needed, I wonder? I would think it would take a long time.

If it has to go over wireless G it would take forever I think. A hard wired network connection would be better.

Bottom line is I suspect many might find restoring there files from a remote service on the internet to be a lot harder and time consuming than might be expected.

My solution is two 1.5 Gb+ Seagate USB drives and using the backup software that comes with the drives from Seagate which reliably backs up any new files in target locations using the backup schedule you set up.

I have had other drives/backup software that was not able to accomplish this quickly and reliably and I dumped that pretty quickly.

Bottom line is setting up backups may not always be a slam dunk if you have to set it up from scratch first time.
WHoops, I meant to say I use two 1.5 Tb+ USB drives, not 1.5Gb+. 1.5 Gb would only buy you about 3 CDs or so I believe whereas 1.5Tb should hold 1000X as much or about 3000 CDs.
Tvad: What does that mean? Replacing a hard drive every so often?
Sure. Why not. Its a mechanical device. Drives are cheap. I replace them about ever 4 years or so. Duplicate the old drive to the new one and you're off and running. Perhaps the schedules are different, but my turntables, open reels, cassette decks and the like also require periodic maintenance.
Tvad: To me, cloud based back-up (I assume that's what you're referring to...apologies if it's not)
Nope, that's not what I do. I keep an off premises USB drive backup and bring it home about every week to two to catch up. The drive can be at work, at your parents or anywhere else away from your home.

It could be cloud based, but that's hardly a requirement. Transfer time would be a bigger issue for this than security. It's not like we're talking about your banking records.

If nothing else, backups are an option that is extremely impractical for LP and CD collections. If you have a large collection, buying or creating duplicates and storing them off premises is not even a possibility for most people.

I've simply not had the problems with a music server that you keep coming back to. I have a substantial and extremely eclectic collection (49,000 songs) and I love the ability to easily and rapidly search and access material in a manner that would simply be impossible with a LP or CD collection. That's important to me.

If you go back to my very first post in this thread, I concluded my comments with: "The nice thing about this hobby is people can pursue it in whatever fashion makes them happy. I've found what works for me and have no urge to go back."
Post removed