Esoteric X03SE vs Ayon CD-2 or CD-5

Has anybody compared these two playes

Thanks
128x128abruce
Sorry, I stand corrected. I meant Joule Electra preamp. To many stages to get the final product. The Ayon provides outstanding soudstage and is second to only the Ayon CD5.
Dear Nisey

One of the "things" the joule preamp does is spread out the music into a "wall of sound" that fills up the room really big. You don't get a framed "acoustic image" between your speakers. I prefer big sound.
Two of the three of these players I have heard, one of them I took in on trade against a CD5. The EMM Labs player is one I have heard. It is fantastic in all respects, plenty of layered detail, three dimensionality etc. I enjoyed this player the short time I heard it, but all the while, to my ears, it just sounded a little biased towards synthetic. This took a while for me to figure out, and throughout the week I had it, was checking connections, placement and things such as this at the end of the listening sessions. I liked what I was hearing, but if I can make this strange analogy, since I cannot quite describe it, it just sounded too perfect? Too perfect in a way similar to the way you might visualize a flawless looking woman from 200 feet away and then start walking towards her, only to find she is made of porcelain. I am trying to stay away from audio-verbage here. It just sounded too pristine for my liking which mildly excused from the room some of the emotions from my mindset while listening. In contrast with the Ayon CD5, the Ayon sounded a little less " productively " detailed. Not in the fashion where there was less detail, but rather where the detail did not seem to be the main focus or event of the music. The Ayon was on par in terms of extension and quality of three dimensionality, spatial cues and air as the EMM Labs, but again, managed to convey this in a more passionate way which took the "focus" away from the parts, and offered them more in the form of a sum. All in all, in terms of measurements, the EMM Labs might very well score considerably better, but in my auditory nerves, the Ayon was simply more " believable ".

I cannot comment on the Wadia at all, and regarding the Audio Aero Prestige SE, this was the one that was traded in. I rarely take the opportunity to listen to trade-ins, unless of course they are very esoteric or I have never heard one, then I will hook it up for a couple of days just to get an appreciation for what other manufacturers are designing. I did manage to get a brief listen in on this model after leaving it plugged in for a couple days. the transport glitched a couple times before I was able to get something loaded, but gave no trouble after that. I liked this player as well and I found it's strengths to be front-to-back dimensionality and a very convincing soundstage, with good air and space between the musicians. I can appreciate the differences found in the Ayon CD5 that might have been the same ones that drew this customer to trade this unit in. I simply found the player a little too relaxed on music that demanded a more up-front-centre performance ie. pop, progressive jazz, alternative, rock and avante garde, yet for a strict diet of classical and jazz, I can certainly appreciate why listeners would like the AA.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Greg