help me make sonos better

you all know sonos does not serve the purity of detail/refinement market but it does do a fabulous job satisfying wife, kids, and even serious listener's who are working on "honey do" lists...

but there must be a way to make it better. read about the cullen mods and external dacs and am ready to dive into the water but for the life of me can't find the ultimate pool. can/will someone lead me to the right place? what and how much $ would be nice to know as well. many thanks....
bobf1717
Could you comment on whether the addition of the Pace Car is a subtle or significant improvement in the sound quality.

I think the answer to this question is system-dependent. With highly resolving components, the addition of the Pace Car results in significant improvements. With moderately resolving components, I believe the improvements would be more subtle. You can read more about my experiences with the Pace car in a review I wrote.

Also, will a better DAC also reduce jitter?

It depends on the dac. Some do, some don't. Keep in mind that the "gold standard" for jitter reduction is a FIFO buffer, which discards the timing data altogether and relclocks the audio data with a high precision clock. This is the approach in the Pace Car. Many dac's that advertise their jitter reduction capabilities do not use a FIFO buffer, but use some other approach.

I do not have the breath of experience to generalize about how much better a FIFO buffer is than other possible approaches. I can say that my Meridian G68 uses PLL's and ASRC to reduce jitter, and even with that, the addition of the Pace Car resulted in significant improvements. Again, this assumes a certain level of resolution among the rest of the system's components.

I don't know the OP's system, but since he has not yet added an external dac to his Sonos, I am now thinking that the Pace Car might be overkill for him. In that case, a more sensible option might be the Cullen mods in combination with a moderately priced dac, and a good S/PDIF cable between them.
can i assume that the "OP" in byron's last response is the "Original Poster?". if so, dat would be me. here is my system:

cdp proceed
music server AudioRequest (model: Fusion Pro)
Pre BAT vk-5i
Amp (ss fall/winter) BAT vk-220 with bat pack
Amp (tube spring/summer) Cary six packs (mono pair)
Speakers sonus faber amanti
Cables/intercnts too advanced for my brain to remember the various brands but assume beyond decent in quality.

this "pace car" thing is something i'm going to research. please keep this conversation alive. learning more with each thread/response.
"I do not have the breath of experience to generalize..." I meant BREADTH of experience, not some strange metaphor involving breathing experiences. :)

Bob - Yes, OP is "original poster." As for your system, it is excellent, and far better than I was assuming in my previous post. In light of that, I would say that you would certainly hear significant improvements with the Pace Car. Whether it is your best option for getting the most from Sonos is another question. I think it depends on the dac you are considering. Given the amount of jitter inherent in Sonos, if I were you, I would want bulletproof jitter rejection in my dac. Short of that, I would seriously consider a reclocker like the Pace Car.

Soundgasm, as you hinted earlier, you may want to try the modest Monarchy reclocker, mated with the DacMagic, and test them on both your modded and unmodded players, - you may be pleasantly delighted. You can always move up the ladder with options others have suggested.

Likewise, would be interested to hear your feedback.
That's exactly what I'm thinking, Edgejazz. I have an email out to Monarchy to confirm that the DIP Classic will accept a 96kHz signal from the Cullen-modded Sonos. It looks like that's possible with an 'upgrade kit.'

I'll definitely report back - this is the thread that I was looking for when I started on this arcane odyssey months ago.