help me make sonos better

you all know sonos does not serve the purity of detail/refinement market but it does do a fabulous job satisfying wife, kids, and even serious listener's who are working on "honey do" lists...

but there must be a way to make it better. read about the cullen mods and external dacs and am ready to dive into the water but for the life of me can't find the ultimate pool. can/will someone lead me to the right place? what and how much $ would be nice to know as well. many thanks....
bobf1717

Showing 4 responses by bobf1717

hey gang, so far so good with the advice. many thanks. hope more keeps rolling on in. here's another thought: move to a remote island and listen to birds chirp! probably cheaper and 100% true analog playback!
paul did a great summary of answers so far to my original question. hoping that by weeks end a clear path will be found via a few more responses. maybe then we should all get a little cash-o-la from sonos ala bill murray's to "the father" in caddyshack for "the effort"!
can i assume that the "OP" in byron's last response is the "Original Poster?". if so, dat would be me. here is my system:

cdp proceed
music server AudioRequest (model: Fusion Pro)
Pre BAT vk-5i
Amp (ss fall/winter) BAT vk-220 with bat pack
Amp (tube spring/summer) Cary six packs (mono pair)
Speakers sonus faber amanti
Cables/intercnts too advanced for my brain to remember the various brands but assume beyond decent in quality.

this "pace car" thing is something i'm going to research. please keep this conversation alive. learning more with each thread/response.
this is what i think i'm hearing from ya'll:
first, a re-clocker for sonos is essential to get rid of jitter, which is assumed to be slang for another "like" kind word! second, an external dac. therefore the math/progession goes like this:

source (sonos)--to--reclocker--to--either back to sonos or directly--to--dac--to--pre--to--amp--to--speaker--to--ears. is this correct? should a beer be had thru each progression?

o.k. if this is close to being a truism, then doesn't it make sense for there to be ONE product between the sonos and the pre that can do the trick, or have i missed picking up on this in all your previous responses? there comes a time when all the gear starts to make buying a bigger house a serious consideration! and i'm at the age where i'm supposed to be downsizing my life....

last, how much would this little widget cost? time for a beer....and it's only 8 am!