Esoteric P03 - D03

Hi all,

I currently own an Esoteric X01-D2. I'v recently been offered a very good! deal from my dealer to trade this for a stock P03-D03 distributor wants to get out. I was no expected as I was really shopping for an analog extension to my system. So I have accepted.

I was very happy with my X01, although I think it was actually better (in relative terms) with red book CDs than with SACDs, contrary to what magazines say. However, given I'm basically buying at second hand price for a new unit, and returning the X01 at a very good price, I decided to go ahead.

AS said I was happy with the X01-D2. Reasons for change, basically 2: Flexibility of a separates, specially allowing me to use DACs digital input with my streaming mod transporter, if desired. It can also handle higher saple downloads than the transporters DAC.

Of course, a gain in overall quality. Specially when it comes to SACDs, but also to CDs, given the D03-P03 working together flexibility and configuration alternatives. I've read a lot about how good this 2 together are, but have not had any direct feedback.

Regarding this last point, a question: I've been told by my dealer that Esoteric importer says the best way to connect these 2 is new Esoteric i-link cable. I don't think I want to go this way, but have no experience. Not only the cable has to be very expensive... but from reading the manual, digital XLR seems the way to go. I-link seems to be more oriented to multichannel, which I don't really care for in this se up. Any suggestions? How are you, other P03-D03 owners doing this connections and what are your experiences on it? Also, any direct experience among these 2 units. What areas of improvement should I expect, in your own experience, compared to the X01-D2?

Thanks
Eli
eelii08
Jojomusic, I think that noise is a different thing. And also normal. I think it has to do with the transport mechanism "grabbing" the disc to hold it firm and getting ready for playing or something like that. I do get that also, and I had it in all other Esoteric players. After the disc gets ready and loaded the unit goes quiet. That is ok with me.

It is the noise Mgottlirb refers to I'm talking about, but in my case, and others as reported, much louder than in his case, being audible from listening position like 3,5 or 4 meters away from the unit, while the disc is spinning if you turn volume down.
Hey Eli, so what have you found now about the performance of the Mexcel 6300 AES/EBU cables? I have the 03 set and am using NBS Pro IV cables (Two) and am marginally happy. I think there is better. Not sure what direction to go. Aloha, David.
I'm arriving a bit late to this thread, but I have directly compared the 7N D6100R Mexcel Acrolink digital cable with the SR D-3 in my system between Esoteric Transport(UX-1Pi with an original UX-1 assembly) and 32-bit DAC. This was done in December 2008 and is in more detail on my system site (pt 1).

As I said in the system discussion, I would have been quite happy with the Mexcel cable, had I not heard the D-3. In my system, the D-3 was more involving and created a much deeper soundstage with better layering front to back of both voices and instruments. It should be noted that I have an all-SR system, so there was undoubtedly a bit of "synergy" (sorry...) going on. The differences between the cables was not subtle - in my system, the SR D-3 is world-class. YMMV
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1&ctg&3&&