Bryston BDA-1 DAC, any thoughts?

Curious about the Bryston BDA-1 stand alone DAC. Anyone own one of these or auditioned one?
How does the remote volume control work?
Using it with or without preamp?
Thanks!
128x128rja
I did not have a chance to hear it unmodded. However I reckon for about USd500 more than retail price, its no brainer to me.
Well compare to a benchmark its knock out in round 1. Its so much more analog sounding. I listen it for hours at time without feeling fatigue unlike benchmark, which even though its transparent sounding but certainly thin and digital sounding
Search dac section- bryston bda-1 se signature. True harmonix
Just a satisfy customer
So getting a 500 dollar mod ,and u didnt even listen to it, did u see if Bryston could or would recommend this mod
Coffeey, how many manufacturers endorse modding of their products and by implication auggestthat they are not done their best for their units?
Well, if I have a manufacturer I won't endorse any such upgrade.
FYI I bought 95% of my stuffs without audition because I m not as fortunate as some of u since I m fr Malaysia where we hardly got chance to audition products before purchasing.
I did some research, the cost was affordable, so the upgrade cost was a reasonable risk to take when I have PC that cost a lot more and LPs costing as much as USD500. Fortunately I like what I heard so far. So this is my logic and my own opinion. Right or wrong is very subjective
correction :
coffeey, how many manufacturers you know of, endorse modding of their products and by implication ( at least to me) that means they have not done their best for their units?
I have owned the Benchmark and now own the Bryston BDA-1.
To my ears the Bryston(non modded)is more analog sounding than
the benchmark.I found the BDA-1 very close the Bryston's BCD-1
Definately to me the benchmark is too digital sounding,we
all listen different,muisicians,non musicians ect.
Try them both, afterall you are the one that has to listen to either one,NOW ABOUT THAT WARRANTY.
I really like my Bryston cdp,and if their dac is that close,
WHY MESS WITH IT.Just a note,I preferred the Bryston's cdp over a 8000.00 tube cdp(and I really wanted the tube cdp),
but MY EARS told me different.