sony xa5400es or marantz sa15s2?

i'm before purchasing a cdp... i've heard so many good reviews of this sony, and of marantz cdps (none of sa15s2 though). did anyone listen to these two (or former marantz sa15s1 or any similar)? i would be greatful to get any comment to help my decision.
crimhead
Fishing716, no argument, just food for thought:

What if someones system was on the bright side and they were looking to tone it down? You or I might change speakers or amps but if a person doesn't want to do that and just wants a new cd player, would the Marantz be a better call?

BTW, I haven't heard the Pearl but many have reported, like you, that it is on the dark side. I have the 15s2 and 11s2 in 2 of my systems and don't find either too dark for me.
I don't think "toneing" it down with a marantz will work.
It's not very musical regardless of dark or bright
I would say from my exposure to both that the Sony is better regardless of system.

Bold statement.Have you heard every system that these players have been used in? Just curious.
I have no experience with the Marantz but for a msrp of $1500 the Sony is an absolute steal imo. My most recent players have been Esoterix XO-3 se, bryston bcd-1, simaudio moon eclipse and MF A5.The Sony doesn't quite have the razor sharp imaging of some of these but is more holographic,more real sounding. Also, tonally it is better than any of these imo( atleast in my system).