Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
Thanks Mystang, the Sony keeps on coming up at this price point. I'll have to check it out.

Mr. Tennis I checked out the review of the Audia Flight CD 3. At 3.9K it is a bit too pricey for me to consider. Beautiful and elegant design though. It seems there might be considerably more options at that price point. I'm more interested in keeping this to less than 1.5K. Thanks for your input, it is appreciated!
I see this thread is still continuing, so that's a good thing.

I have had the Oppo for not quite a week now, and called customer service today to inquire about the break in time. The rep said they didn't recommend any break-in time. I thought, he is not aware of the difference that break-in can make.
I'm using, for the moment, an Odyssey Khartago amp, Nordost interconnectrs (Tyr) and several speaker systems: Nolas (circa 2004) Sound Dynamics RTS-3s. I have others, but haven't hooked them up yet. My First Sound Presence -- nearly a Mk. II (I had it upgraded, but not all at once: I like to hear the improvements) will arrive tomorrow, so I'm going direct from the Oppo to the Khartago.
I haven't been thrilled with the sound, but I believe some components need break-in.
So far, the bass is...ok, but not distinct in the midbass. Upper bass (drums, marching and otherwise) are taut, but lacking weight.
Rhythm: com-ci, com-ca so far. Midrange....decent, but it certainly is not as saturated at my old JVC XLZ-1010TN CD player. I also have an Arcam FMJ 23, a Bryston BDA-1, an Arcam DVD 27, and a couple of others, including a SACD. I had a Cambridge, but it was too "polite" sounding for me, so I sold it after 2 years. I also have Hurricane amps, Audience AR 2-T (teflon version) conditioner and a Quantum line unit (Nordost distributes it), Shunyata power cords, CX series, Shunyata and Alpha Goertz cables (Divinity series for the Goertz, Andromeda for the Shunyata), so I know how "powerful" the music can -- and should -- sound.
My conclusion so far is that the Oppo needs a LOT of break-in. It's had 5 days. It's listenable, but that's it. Believe me, I want to love it, but even so, I bought it for my SO, who lives in California, so I'm breaking it in for him. I would imagine there should start being large improvements within the next week, but right now.....it's just nice.
HOWEVER, Christ Martens of TAS, whose writings I've followed, says it ranks up among 4k players, so I'm pretty sure I am not getting anywhere near the full capability of the player. I'm just giving you a baseline.
Oh right: the highs are very clear, but the ambience retrieval is lacking, and the sound is still "stiff" as in not-liquid in the way real music is. With real music, the sound just wafts thru the air (in a good hall: in a bad one, it sounds as though there are no harmonics, due to a lack of good acoustics).
I'm rooting for the Oppo, but I'll need to be patient. The Khartago was somewhat the same, although it's strong suit is its clarity, not its liquidity, and it, too, is a little bit lightweight, compared, especially to the Hurricanes.
We'll see!
high tubegroover:

i made an error the cd player i was thinkong of was the virtue audio m1, also reviewed by henry wilkenson on audiophilia.com, list price is $699. it may not be to your taste. read the review carefully.
I just happened to come across my post from nearly 2 years ago. I had forgotten that I bough the SE version before. Guess what? I just bought it again today. However, I expect different results. Let me tell you why.
I discovered that one of my speaker cables (and I'm not saying which) - and this after 3 years(!) and many thousands of dollars in changes in the system later - was a version made by the manufacturer for the Far East, which, apparently, has different sonic ...perspectives. I was frustrated by the inability of the system in general to sound A) powerful in the midbass in particular, and, keep in mind, I had owned this EXACT same speaker cable back around 2004. I didn't keep the Bryston because I didn't hear what everyone was raving about: sold it a couple of months after I bought it. Sold a LOT of stuff, and replaced it with other things.
About 9 months ago, I saw that someone was trading a version of the speaker cable that was physically different-looking than the one I had. By this point, I had changed - literally - every single component, in an effort to recapture the musical sonics of the system around 2004 - to no avail. Finally, my background training kicked in and I thought, hmmm....the only thing I haven't changed is the speaker cable. Thinking I had nothing to lose, I offered a trade to the audio store that was selling the cables (although they looked slightly different than the originals I had) - and they accepted. I got the cables, put them into the system, turned it on and - VOILA! The sound, although not as powerful as my original, larger gauge cables, had that magic. The bass was fuller and richer. I was pissed all to hell and back! Over 10K later, and it had been the speaker cables killing the sound all the time. To say I was angry was an understatement, and I grilled the manufacturer to the point that they dreaded hearing who was calling. It turned out the designer had found, after the design, that the cables sounded different (the person I spoke to was fairly high up in the organization and had asked the history of the different versions of the cable) and the designer said that the Orient had certain "biases" about size, shape and color, so he redesigned it, but felt that it "wrecked" (my word, but that's an accurate synonym) the sound, so he went back to the original size, shape and color.
The lesson: sometimes it's not THE equipment that doesn't bring out the best of the sonics: it's YOUR equipment. And this could not be called "system synergy," by the way. Clearly, the speaker cable killed off differences in ALL the components, which is probably why the Bryston didn't knock my socks off. Just goes to show: when in doubt try it in a completely different system. Not yours, not in your house, not in your ANYTHING. Move it somewhere else, even your audio dealer's, and get a fix on what sounds better and what sounds worse.
I am much more optimistic this time