Has anyone heard the new OPPO BDP-83SE

If the price/performance ratio of this $899 player (as listed on OPPO's web site) is comparable to their past offerings this should be the mother of all giant killers.
kdibello
I received at 83SE. I'm posting to set my start date with it: tonight. I'll have to give it time.
I had the Cambridge 840C, incidentally. While I appreciated its clarity, it was "polite". The sound did not project forward as it does in a good hall in life. It was as though there were a force field around it. While I appreciate that, it's NOT how music sounds live. I have yet to hear a horn played that didn't project forward towards the audience. It was very low noise; however, music is not an academic exercise. It is feeling, it is power (the type of music being played allowed, of course) and it is rarely "contained" unless the composer wrote it so. Keep that in mind rather than "bass", "midrange" and treble comments.
Mphnkns, you are correct in the horns penetrating out into the room and the feeling of them being forward. But, if everything else is doing this then there is no depth and the sound becomes compressed. The Oppo has the dynamics and a lot of potential but is very suseptible to micro vibration and rfi. It is revealing but a little thin in the midrange and smallish stage as a stock unit. Modding the unit and adding nice cabling changes things drastically. I personally don't like syrupy and polite sounding cdp's. I would rather find a way to add a more full and lush midrange to a revealing player. No doubt the player has feeling and character and I can't say this regarding a lot of other cdp's.
Mphnkns
Are you describing the Cambridge 840C or the Oppo 83SE? I thought you were describing the Cambridge 840C, because you just received your Oppo 83SE and are waiting for it to break in [presumably before commenting on its sound]. However, it seems that the next poster, Jp1208, thought you were describing the Oppo.
i own an oppo 83 se. i would say it is an ok player that perhaps has a slight imbalance in the upper frequencies. replacing power cords and carefully selecting interconnects may mitigate but probably not eliminate the problem.

i have not heard any mods to the unit.
"Finding yourself listening to the music instead of the sound of the player is a good sign"

Which was what just what happened this morning when an audio friend who just purchased a used OPPO BDP-83SE and was so excited he brought it down to my place for a quick listen. What was IMMEDIATELY apparent is that this unit just captures the harmonics of the music in such a stunning way that it took my breath away. I can't imagine, at least in that performance area, that it can get too much better in the here and now. Bass weight was a bit lacking but other than that I was quite impressed at what is possible in this price range, anyone know of anything?