Internet Radio sounds better than ripped CDs. Why

My friend and I agree that Internet Radio sounds more alive and dimensional thru our Squeezeboxes than do our ripped Apple Lossless CD files which are streamed from external hard drives.

Why would this be? Internet Radio is usually low bitrate mp3, while our audio files are supposedly CD quality.

Anyone have the same perception?
kenl
I have to agree with the original post. I'm using Apple lossless codec and through an Airport Express I find the results to be unsatisfactory. On the other hand some internet radio stations such as TSF Jazz which are streamed at 128 kbs sound almost analog in quality. I know that TSF does play some vinyl (I can hear the surface noise) but regardless the majority of the music sounds wonderful. It must be due to the encoding. I will have to investigate other encoding methods other than Apple lossless.
Mat, Do you use the analogue or digital outs of your AE? The Analogue outs of the AE are......just OK.
I run my AE to an external DAC and it sounds better than small dish radio.
Even AFTER I went thru the defaults on the small dish receiver and turned off compression and went to PCM out and used an optical to the SAME DAC as is fed by the AE.
Apple Lossless and FLAC should be equal. BOTH can be used to reconstruct a bit-accurate copy of the original material. They should therefore sound the same, no?
No doubt Internet stations can apply a variety of processing as desired.

Loudness levels vary with IR stations but I find a significant # that normalize their material at a higher level than many or most CDs.

NAtive CDs can ahave a range of average loudness levels with older masters in general having much lower net volumes than newer recordings. Some servers like Windows Media Player provide some ability to match levels during playback to some extent.

Most IR stations match levels as well in that it is not conducive to have various material playing at significantly varying overall levels. Many match at higher levels overall.
What I'm hearing with Apple lossless is a hardness and compressed sound. Whereas a station like TSF Jazz sounds much more open. It's not that I don't hear the compression especially during complex pieces but overall its much more listenable. Since I'm using the analog out, maybe the AE isn't the best for decoding Apple lossless? Or perhaps I need to use error correction when ripping CDs. I don't have much interest in a external DAC at this time. I'm just not interested in spending big bucks on audio any more. In fact I'm really enjoying the mid-fi sound (and convenience) of internet radio and Pandora.
Mat,
The analogue outs of the AE are only OK.....or worse.
A DA converter is a 'must' for this guy. I don't know how inexpensive a good DA can run, but just for example, a CA DacMagic is about 400$ online.
Preowned? quite a bit less.

Lossless files are 'decoded' at the computer end and sent as a bitstream to the AE. So, whether you are sending MP3@160 or lossless, makes no difference at the AE end. All the heavy lifting is done at the computers end.

I'm thru with 'upgrades' for quite a while, too. If I do anything, I'll sell my CA840 player, which includes 2 DA inputs and also sell my OPPO upsampler so I can buy an OPPO '83 and a DacMagic. Kind of a sideways move, but I can end up with BlueRay and make a small bit of change.