Internet Radio sounds better than ripped CDs. Why

My friend and I agree that Internet Radio sounds more alive and dimensional thru our Squeezeboxes than do our ripped Apple Lossless CD files which are streamed from external hard drives.

Why would this be? Internet Radio is usually low bitrate mp3, while our audio files are supposedly CD quality.

Anyone have the same perception?
kenl
Are you allowing the computer to process the audio? You should bypass the computer's audio processing (I think SqueezeCenter automatically does this). You should also maximize the audio settings in SqueezeCenter (turn off cross fades, set maximum volume output, etc.) Which SB outputs are you and your friend using (analog / digital) - you should be using the digital output to feed a good DAC. I’m not familiar with Apple Lossless (I use FLAC), but if properly setup, the Lossless files should sound superior (way superior) when compared to Internet Radio. Do some searching on the Squeezbox forums...
Something is amiss with your setup. Internet radio sounds decent, but your ripped CDs will sound better -- no ifs ands or buts.
Agree with all above - something is wrong, and you should be taking all conversions out of the computer and using an external DAC with no digital processing or volume control. If you are already doing all that then I'm dumbfounded at your results.
I'm with Jax2, I'm dumbfounded too.

Is the internet radio station doing equalization?