DACs with volume control ?

Other than the Benchmark and Bel Canto, does anyone know of DACs with volume control? Anyone found that adding [ back] (after trying this experiment) a pre is actually beneficial ?
mjmch2003
I don't want to start any controversy here but may I suggest that the sound quality of the Berkeley surpasses most or all of the DACs discussed so far? Mjmch2003, IMO this DAC hits the price/performance sweet spot. It has volume control [volume on each channel can be controlled individually from the remote for balance] which could eliminate a pre-amp if you have a digital only system. Plus it's virtually future proof as far as formats. Definitely worth an audition and consideration if you're in the market for a new DAC. Not cheap but far from the stratospheric prices that some others are going for. Or you could wait until some used units become available.
I have to agree about the berkeley Dac.
I was in the process of going back to vinyl, because frankly, I was sick
of listening to music using cd's and only being reminded of emotion.
I am now using the berkely dac with a g5 apple as server, and I get
goosbumps once more.
I think it's a ground breaking piece of equipment, and to top it all, I don't have
to re-invest in software again, and as a plus, using to 24/192 is a revelation.
My hat goes off to the designers, who seem to truly understand the potential
of digital playback.
Monarchy Model 33 (also includes a line pre-amp) and Model 22C.
Birdland Audio Odeon Lite and Odeon AG.
Camelot Uther
Been listening to a Transporter XLR into ARC 100.2 into Dynaudio S3.4s's. About as detailed, transparent, and pure as I've ever heard. I have noticed though, that a very good preamp, like a Pass X2.5 or X1, or a tube job like an LS25 does a better job at detail retreival when listening at night time (when the kids are asleep). Perhaps a smidge sweeter (rolled off is not exactly what it is, something else) too with the LS25. Other than that it's hard to tell if I am imagining things or if there really is a difference. It will be a sad day when I have to give the transporter back to my buddy! At one point I was running a Bel Canto Dac3 direct into my Pass x250.5--same speakers; I would say that this combo had the most sheer detail and accuracy, but i'm getting a more tube like (by that I mean sense of open midband with no SS chalkiness) sound that I like better with the ARC 100.2/Transporter combo. Of course not really fair since digi sources are different...and I moved (but I can still guess from memory)!

Anyway unless the manufacturer has implemented a stellar line section in the DAC, a very good preamp will usually sound better; this has been my experience--ymmv