Developing A List Of Tonearm Candidates For A SOTA Turntable

So this month i sent my SME V off to a new home, and that leaves my SOTA armless. My other table has a schroder CB-1L on it and I have run either an Ortofon Verismo or Transfiguration Proteus on it. I did put both those same cartridges on the SME on the SOTA and it always had a disappointing presentation of harmonics and texture. A monochromatic sound could be the best description I have. Time for another arm.

The SOTA armboard restricts the type of arm that can be installed. The arm types that have a VTA tower and separate pivot point take up too much real estate to fit. So fitting something like a Wheaton, Reed, or Durand does not seem possible. I wondered about elevating the arm board so its level with the top plate, but I am not sure if there is enough room for the want to pivot without removing the dust cover. It is a possibility, but I wonder how it effects the travel of the suspension. and if there are unintended consequences. I have yet to read about any SOTA owners doing this.

So I am trying to put together a list of candidates. I do know some folks appreciate the Origin Live arms, but I am not very well versed in their lineup. I have wondered about the Groovemaster arms also. I have looked at the Moerch, but its kind of a fiddly thing. The point is the table is on the sidelines at the moment because there is no arm in place. I typically shop the used market, but I can be patient and wait for the right arm to come along. The benefit of having more than one table i guess. 

Anyone else have any suggestions. Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

neonknight

@dover   I've heard that Dohmann recently stopped recommending the Schroeder CB series as they found that there are better sounding arms; yet do recommend the Supatrac Blackbird and Nighthawk, which they feel "are a revelation with reference level performance"

The Blackbird is a solid value for the cost but I'm going for the upgraded Nighthawk myself, which was just released so I doubt you've had the chance to evaluate it. 

There's a YT video where The Dohmann Helix One MKIII is playing a Nighthawk and it sounded amazing. 

I don't know which model of SOTA you have.  I have a vintage SOTA Star Sapphire on which I had a linear-tracking Eminent Technology ET-2 installed, and am still using that to this day.  It is rather fussy to set VTF with it, but if you don't mess with changing cartridges or VTF often, that's not a big issue.  I think it sounds great.  It offers an easy way to alter VTA, which you can do while playing a record and listening.  You do have to manage the noise of the air pump which provides the air to the air-bearing.  I cover mine with a cardboard box and have it situated 10 ft. from my listening position.  Others put it in a closet or another room.

Dear @cleeds  : Other classic combination with the SOTA TT is as @drmuso  already posted the ET-2.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

@vinylshadow 

You presume too much. A friend of mine distributes the Supertrack here. As far as Dohmann goes he will mount any arm you want - "they are all great".

Make sure you replace the horizontal bearing pivot point and re-polish the arm block on which it loads on your Blackhawk every year - they wear out quite rapidly.

@rauliruegas 

I'm surprised you've mentioned the ET2 - when I distributed Sota here our reference system primarily used Sota Vacuum/ET2 - an outstanding combo.

We never had a problem with keeping the Sota sub-chassis level.

Despite some folk objections to the ET2, properly set up it will see off most pivoted arms, particularly on tracking ability ( 0 anti-skate ).

I was also the agent for SME at the time.