iFi LAN iSilencer connection

This can be plugged into the router or the streamer. My guess is it would be better plugged into the router if you have a well shielded ethernet cable.

Is there a preferred method or no difference?  

Thanks!

macg19

I have a couple of these and have been using them for many months. I plugged one on the line that feeds into the switch from which all my audio gear is connected, and another into the NAS that stores my files.

It was not a revolutionary experience but to my ear did no harm and I thought the overall presentation of the music was better with them in play. I might agree with your description you posted above regarding tone.

For the modest cost of these I don’t feel taken and happily continue to use them (along with my AudioQuest Jitterbug and Emotiva DC blocker) while enjoying my system.

Plug the LAN silencer directly into the ethernet port on your streaming device.

Run a good ethernet cable (Axxess, audioquest, etc) from your router or preferably a FMC decoupler to the isilencer.

@macg19 I have my ifi LAN iSilencer plugged into the eero node (I tried it into streaner as well). Then 1m Purist Ethernet cable from it to the Aurender N200. Thought process is get the dirt out before it hits the 1m cable run. Right, wrong or different it makes sense to me and that’s how I have it.
I can tell the difference between Ethernet cables with this streamer although it’s not night and day. I really don’t think I can tell if the iFi is in the chain, before or after the Ethernet cable, or not there at all, even if my life depended on it. Try it and see. It doesn’t cause harm at least that’s good news.

@audphile1 I'm "upgrading" my opinion from "very subtle" to "subtle" improvement after a few more hours of listening to some very familiar HR Jazz recordings via Qobuz.

I'm learning that sometimes when you a/b test and focus on trying to hear changes, there isn't much/any. Then when you are not paying attention, something makes you pause and take notice. That's what happened today.  

I'm looking forward to hearing the SmoothLAN next.

FWIW the main reason I'm not trying a switch is I don't have any spare outlets. Lastly I have no doubt if I had a better streamer like an Aurender I wouldn't hear any difference. I'm just messing with low-cost, zero risk tweaks atm.  

@macg19 yup same here. I thought I heard the difference on some tracks and had that moment where I thought it sounded different and it possibly did. But man 99% or the time I can’t tell. I’ve had very audible impacts to sound quality of the Aurender by swapping power cords and that didn’t require straining my ears to hear it.
So this Ethernet stuff is most likely the last thing anyone should screw around with - in my opinion components, room and other cables are way more impactful. Cheap tweaks is cool just don’t go nuts with switches, linear power supplies for all this ethernet crap, fiber to optical FMC conversion modules etc…it ain’t worth it.