Does it have to sound good for you to like it?

I listen mainly to classical music.  The SQ of classical recordings is all over the place, not nearly as consistent other types of music.  Recording large orchestras is a complicated and difficult endeavor. Smaller ensembles are easier to record. So, if you listen to a great performance of an orchestral (or any) recording but have trouble with the sound will you avoid listening to it?

128x128rvpiano

Yes, The recording needs to sound good for me to like it.   :-)

I can tolerate a few issues, however, my patience is has its limits. Especially with anything that gets in the way of an immersive experience.

I have favorites that are not well recorded. For example, this gem from Chuck Mangione, which also has some flaws in its performance. It was never released on CD or streaming - LP only, as far as I know. But it’s a great piece of music. You either get it, or you don’t.

(Naturally, the LP sounds much better than the YT lossy audio.)

.......yes. I had CD's on Billie Holiday and Sam Cooke as well as older blues and jazz and ended up trading them in as it was too '' hard '' to listen to and enjoy.     

I will listen to great music regardless of the recording quality or the equipment I have at the moment, including iphone.