Does it have to sound good for you to like it?

I listen mainly to classical music.  The SQ of classical recordings is all over the place, not nearly as consistent other types of music.  Recording large orchestras is a complicated and difficult endeavor. Smaller ensembles are easier to record. So, if you listen to a great performance of an orchestral (or any) recording but have trouble with the sound will you avoid listening to it?

128x128rvpiano

Yes, and that holds for any genre. I’m a big Steely Dan fan, but I won’t listen to their earlier CDs or stream on my system — too compromised in too many areas (will try the vinyl though whenever I get my TT up n running again). If I wanna listen to that stuff I’ll listen on my earbuds or a Bluetooth speaker where all the warts and limitations are mostly glossed over. Kinda sad, but that’s me.

Yes, The recording needs to sound good for me to like it.   :-)

I can tolerate a few issues, however, my patience is has its limits. Especially with anything that gets in the way of an immersive experience.

I have favorites that are not well recorded. For example, this gem from Chuck Mangione, which also has some flaws in its performance. It was never released on CD or streaming - LP only, as far as I know. But it’s a great piece of music. You either get it, or you don’t.

(Naturally, the LP sounds much better than the YT lossy audio.)