Watts! How many do we need?

Got a new amp. Accuphase P-4600. It’s great. I love it. 
150 watts into 8 ohms, 300 watts into 4 ohms and it has meters so I can see wattage. Have them set on freeze so I can see the highest wattage during the session.

My Harbeth speakers are not very efficient. Around 86db. Their impedance is an even 6 ohms dipping no lower than 5.8 ohms. 

Playing HiRes dynamic classical recordings  ( Tchaikovsky , Mahler) at room filling volumes I have yet to exceed 1watt.. 

Amps today offer a lot of watts some going to 600 even 1200 watts. Even if you have inefficient speakers with an impedance that dips down to 2 ohms do we need all this wattage or should we be focusing on current instead? 

jfrmusic

@jfmusic, I’d often seen stereo amps displaying wildly different readings when fed mono signals. While it’s very true that the fault could lobe elsewhere, it’s doubt it is not more often than not that the meters are at fault. When queried about the meters, and when not being evasive just about every manufacturer has admitted that inclusion of meters was because they looked cool, and shouldn’t be relied on for critical use.

That's a very nice amp for those speakers, congrats. Fellow Harbeth owner - I'm seeing/hearing similar results. I think the "low" sensitivity of Harbeth's isn't that relevant with well-matched, high-current SS power which is exactly what you have based on Paul's video (able to double power from 8 to 4 ohms).  

Even if our meters are not perfectly calibrated, there is no doubt in my mind that they are a very good indication that the amp is barely breathing, and having virtually unlimited headroom is a really good thing. Enjoy it! 

@bigtwin 

Thanks that was an interesting article. 

@macg19 

Yes exactly how I feel  The amp reproduces the peaks effortlessly. No sounds of straining or harshness.  The entire frequency range just gets louder with no over emphasis of upper frequencies A very even response