DCS 1394 problem

I bought my Delius, Purcell and Verdi all separate. When they are linked thru 1394, they played fine for a few days and then Purcell cannot communicate with Verdi, and Delius cannot regconize both the Purcell or Verdi thru 1394. Does anyone have this experience? Thanks,
psszco2002
Hi Psszco2002,

You should check the selected input on the Delius, which should show 1394. Re-set it manually with the Input button.

I don't have a Purcell so I'm not sure whether its input and output need to be selected. However if they do, check those as well, particularly the output.

Check the 1394 cables are fitted properly into their sockets. They can be hard to seat fully.

Do you have other cables between the 3 units, so that you can upsample CD at other rates than DSD eg on the AES/EBU inputs?

If so it might be worth temporarily removing them, until you have discovered what is affecting your 1394 data path.

Check your wordclock settings. Either Verdi or Delius is set to Master, and the others should be set to Slave. If you have changed the settings, the clock cables have to be moved to different sockets ie Wordclock OUT on the master unit and Wordclock IN on the slaves.

The other thing you can try is to bypass the Purcell altogether. The Purcell doesn't do anything when playing SACD. You can connect The Verdi 1394 output directly to the Delius 1394 input and play an SACD. It it works, you know the issue is probably with the settings on the Purcell.

Don't be too alarmed at this point. The dCS stack is pretty complex and it's easy to bump a button to the wrong setting.

You should read the manuals thoroughly, paying particular attention to the setup diagrams. If you don't have the manuals, they can be downloaded as PDF files from dCS's website.

I hope this helps.
I have set Delius as Master for clock. I have also try to connect Verdi with Delius alone thru 1394. It plays SACD for about 1 hour. All of a sudden without any reason, Delius starts to play intermittenly. Couple of hours later, Delius shows "search.." and could not regconize Verdi all together. Have you experienced this situation? Philip
Hi Philip,

Yes, I have experienced a similar situation.

I have a Verdi Encore made in 2005. It has always been very sensitive to minor flaws and data errors on SACD discs.

Some of my SACDs are fine and play through with no problems.

Others cause an intermittent, jumping of the sound. It will dropout for 2 seconds then resume.

Sometimes it drops out, resumes, drops out, resumes several times.

Sometimes it drops out for longer and I can see the track time display scrolling upwards as it searches for readable data.

The worst times are when it comes to a complete stop. When it does that it is hard to regain control of the transport to restart or eject the disc. Through experience I have found that the only thing to do then is to cold-start both the Verdi Encore and the Delius. (In your case cold-start the Purcell also.)

If I don't do a cold-start any SACDs I play afterwards will jump or halt, even if they are not normally faulty.

After experiencing this for a while I became convinced that the base fault was with certain of my SACD discs (even ones that are bought new). If I look very closely at the discs I can see flaws in their surface or in the gold layer behind.

However, there is no doubt that the machine is extra sensitive to the flawed discs and doesn't seem to deal with the problem very elegantly.

Can other dCS owners confirm this behaviour in their machines?
My situation is not the same. I could see the Verdi is playing fine thru its display. Tracking is not jump. It seems that the data is not picking up by the Delius. Delius displays "search.." at all time.