Quandary

I’m really happy with my system. However when a technician, who is also a salesman, came to my house for a stereo repair he complimented my set but said it would sound a lot better if I switched out my Benchmark AHB2 amp (which I think is great) for a Pass 30 wpc class AB amp. He offered to let me hear that amp in my system so that I could decide for myself (at a fee of $300.) The only problem is he doesn’t  have the 30 watt amp in stock but would have to demo the Pass sound with 60 watt monoblocks. He assured  me that with my very efficient GoldenEar Triton 1 speakers the 30 watt amp will almost have the the same quality.

Do you think I can honestly judge how the smaller amp will actually sound? Or should I cancel the demonstration (and save$300?)

128x128rvpiano
Post removed 

Right, you must audition the amp they want you to buy. Another option is to buy one used as Pass does very well on the resale market (the Benchmark does too).

maybe for starters bring your easy to carry Benchmark to the dealer and do some free testing...just to get a sense...I much prefer Pass to Benchmark...but wouldn't pay $300 for an audition...there's gotta be a better way...

Post removed 

I would also wonder if the owner, realizing you are a serious buyer, might upon discussing make you a better offer