NOS DAC or CDP?

Recently I had to get rid of two of my CDPs (Jolida JD-100 and NAD C542) for finacial reasons. In doing so, I've had to go back to using my old Onkyo DX-C540 changer. Now it's not a bad sounding player for what it is, which is a Mid-FI changer circa late 90s. But both the NAD and Jolida certainly bested it in all areas of performance, and yes, I'm missing that level of performance. In any case am thinking down the road of either getting another CDP (possibly another NAD or used Jolida) or maybe going the NOS DAC route. I'm thinking of going the NOS DAC route as the Onkyo DOES have a optical output, and I think that it might make a decent transport, and give me changer capabilities. In addition, from what I've been reading the NOS DAC would probably give me the warm, musical presentation that I enjoyed with both the NAD and Jolida players. Also it appears that many of the NOS DACs fall within the "price point" that I would like to keep (less than $500). BTW, I consider myself more a "music lover" than an "audiophile", and going the DAC route would certainly be something new for me. Anyway, appreciate thoughs and suggestions from the community on which road they might go down and why they so. Thanks.
cleaneduphippy
Cleaneduphippy - no need to be rude. Nobody will be able to pick system for you and there is nothing "warm" about NOS DACs. I was merely suggesting that jitter rejecting DAC might give you more for the money plus great flexibility by being able to connect server/computer in future. Within given parameters, as you call your description, I stated that NOS player might be not very good match to your CDP especially using optical. It sounds to me that your mind was already set before you asked the question. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.
My new Valab NOS DAC is breaking in...as someone told me, for $200-no brainer!
Jtwrace - I heard Valab recently at Mattzack2 place with very good tube gear and Dali speakers. It is really nice. I'm planning to insert my Benchmark into exactly same setup to compare. The main idea behind Valab is not the NOS itself but increasing resolution of traditional DACs by putting eight of them in parallel (averaging resistor ladder). I have even seen one implementation (DIY) where dacs where simply soldered one on the top of the other. TDA1453 used in Valab is decent (obsolute since 2000) DAC. Sigma-Delta converters have similar resolution limits (16-18 bits) because of timing inaccuracies. DCS Ring DACs (FMJ-23, Elgar) rotate 5 identical resistors in ladder positions to average tolerance and get more of the resolution. Any method is good, I guess, if it sounds better.
Kijanki,

IF I came across as rude, it because you came across as condensending. Now IF (operative word) I do decide to go the NOS DAC route in my system, then I'll be doing so with the full knowledge that it may or may not work to my expectations, I might have jitter issues because my changer/transport is not up to par, but then again it might perform to my satisfaction. Truth is, that the way it is with audio gear, sometimes what you think should work well together, DOESN'T, and other times what you think shouldm't work well together, ends up working much better than expected. Why that happen, who knows? But as they say, you never know till you try.

Bottom line, IF (there's that word again) I go the NOS DAC route (btw, your comment "your mind was already set before you asked the question" is purely an erroneous assumption on your part as I'm considering various difference options) and things work out, I'll be happy (at least for while). But if they don't then I certainly can sell the NOS DAC on Audiogon and get most of my money back, and try another approach.

You know it's something that people do on Audiogon every day.
Btw, curious on the sound of the Benchmark DAC. I generally go for a warmer, more analog type of sound than an analytical one, of course I do have tubes in my system, so perhaps my worries are unfounded.

It isn't harsh in the usual digital sense - quite analog really. However, it is thin, light (in lower mids) and detailed as opposed to organic, heavy, warm or rich sounding - percussion is excellent on the DAC1. There are many reviews on line and pretty much everyone agrees on the sound. Based on your description you would probably want to couple it with tubes - if you sent that direction.