NOS DAC or CDP?

Recently I had to get rid of two of my CDPs (Jolida JD-100 and NAD C542) for finacial reasons. In doing so, I've had to go back to using my old Onkyo DX-C540 changer. Now it's not a bad sounding player for what it is, which is a Mid-FI changer circa late 90s. But both the NAD and Jolida certainly bested it in all areas of performance, and yes, I'm missing that level of performance. In any case am thinking down the road of either getting another CDP (possibly another NAD or used Jolida) or maybe going the NOS DAC route. I'm thinking of going the NOS DAC route as the Onkyo DOES have a optical output, and I think that it might make a decent transport, and give me changer capabilities. In addition, from what I've been reading the NOS DAC would probably give me the warm, musical presentation that I enjoyed with both the NAD and Jolida players. Also it appears that many of the NOS DACs fall within the "price point" that I would like to keep (less than $500). BTW, I consider myself more a "music lover" than an "audiophile", and going the DAC route would certainly be something new for me. Anyway, appreciate thoughs and suggestions from the community on which road they might go down and why they so. Thanks.
cleaneduphippy
Kijanki,

Exactly what spec do I check? Looking at my owner's manual I find this information.

"Proprietary AccuPulse Quartz System with Polysorb virtually elimates the possibility of timing errors in the in the clock oscillator"

"Wow and Flutter: Beyond the threshold of measurability"

That sounds to me that I shouldn't have a issue with "jitter" but hey, what do I know? Just trying to educate myself. Also I understand about the issues with optical cables, but if you had read my previous post then you would have clearly seen that my digital output IS an optical one. Pretty much eliminates other digital options, at least as far as using that player.

Btw, I have read some reviews on the Benchmark DAC and it does sound like a good DAC that many people would like, but I also get the feeling that it won't be delivering the sound presentation that I would be looking for, unless I willing to have the unit modded. Now is that road I would want to go down? Probably not.

Basically what you're telling me, is that for a $500 or less price point to forget about going the DAC route, especially using a NOS DAC. And it's a point well taken. Perhaps I would be better off for the money getting a used Jolida (which I had before and liked especially with a NOS 12AX7, and perhaps an upgraded "power cord") or some other simliarly price CDP unit (new/used). And as I'm the type of person who "searches for simplicity", and it appears going the DAC route might be more of a PITA than it worth, and perhaps it's something I should keep in mind.

Thanks for your comments.
Cleaneduphippy - I suspect that you like warm sound that I don't care for. Listen to few DACs of different types and decide yourself. My experience is limited and it is personal thing (matter of taste).

I never had high quality transport but good one shows amount of jitter in picoseconds. Statements like "virtually eliminates" should raise warning flag.

Also price should suggest quality - good, low jitter transports are often over $5k.
" I suspect that you like warm sound that I don't care for."

Kijanki,

You're absolutely right, and I said so earlier in my intial post. Now if you don't care for that particular sound presentation that your business, to each his own.

Basically I appreciate advice that helps get's me what I'm looking for, and at a price point that I want to paid which is why I title this thread "NOS DAC or CDP?".

Straight forward information in the vein of "at the price you want to spend, and for the sound presentation you're looking for, this would be the best approach" is what I looking for here.

Now if you can help in that respect, and within the parameters I laid out in this thread, then the advise is appreciated. If not, you're not being very helpful.
Cleaneduphippy - no need to be rude. Nobody will be able to pick system for you and there is nothing "warm" about NOS DACs. I was merely suggesting that jitter rejecting DAC might give you more for the money plus great flexibility by being able to connect server/computer in future. Within given parameters, as you call your description, I stated that NOS player might be not very good match to your CDP especially using optical. It sounds to me that your mind was already set before you asked the question. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.
My new Valab NOS DAC is breaking in...as someone told me, for $200-no brainer!