For city apartment dweller audiophiles. Have you ever had neighbors banging on your walls?

I try to be considerate when I play my music but recently I put footers under the spikes of my speakers very highly recommended here. People claiming improvements in sound and a godsend when you need to move them to get behind certain components. I was listening to music and in the middle of a cut I paused my cd transport placed the new footers under the spikes and then I started the player without changing the volume. The music was noticeably louder and I had to turn it down.

Well two days after I was playing music at 8AM no louder than I've been playing it for years and I get banging on my bedroom wall. I listen in my living room so next to it is my bedroom and then the bedroom of my neighbor. The last time it happened was many many years ago and it wasn't music it was a man talking on FM radio. I sensed there was a change in the presence of the music with the new footers but that big of a difference? We have very good sound proofing here and there was a time when I could play Wagner at 5am before work and nobody complained.

Could footers make that much of a difference? I did notice an improvement in presence as well. I do not know this neighbor and she's been living here a few years.

Anybody else have a similar situation when they changed something in their system or maybe you were just playing music too loudly without realizing it?

roxy1927

I live in the Bronx, we will shoot your ass through the peep hole.

We dont live on the same planet happily for me . 😊

And 50 years ago people were not transformed into savages yet ...

Noise annoying the neighbours was considered impolite at best and an agression at worst ...

And here where i lived police was answering these calls 50 years ago... But i am old and i spoke about a time where citizen existed and had right not only written but respected ... Not passive zombies yet ...

Noise is one of the most efficient attack on the health and psyche at the same time. Then noise is not an expression of freedom coming from our neighbours who then take the right to make extreme noise and then take the right to shoot you if you come... This right never existed here.. 😁

In this article they spoke about passive environmental noise merely. Not about deliberate use of noise as an arm by a neighbour which is tenfold worst.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41370-024-00642-5

«The recognition of noise exposure as a prominent environmental determinant of public health has grown substantially. While recent years have yielded a wealth of evidence linking environmental noise exposure primarily to cardiovascular ailments, our understanding of the detrimental effects of noise on the brain and mental health outcomes remains limited. Despite being a nascent research area, an increasing body of compelling research and conclusive findings confirms that exposure to noise, particularly from sources such as traffic, can potentially impact the central nervous system. These harms of noise increase the susceptibility to mental health conditions such as depression, anxiety, suicide, and behavioral problems in children and adolescents. »

When we spoke to our neighbour as if he could be God it could be dangerous because some people take anything to the letter :

I really feel for appartment/condo dwellers. Been there, done that. Last one was over 30 years ago. However, with my current wife, the problems were the same in our house. She likes to sleep in, I don't. Instead I listen to music and she would always stick her head out of the bedroom and ask: What's the boom, boom, boom I hear? Hence building the house of stereo.

I am thankful for it every day.

@mahgister In some countries, people have an expectation to be free FROM other people’s excess. In the US, people have a perception that they have the right TO make noise and disturb others. In other words, in the US, the ethos is that I can make noise and so can you. We all have noise together. In other countries, I will be as quiet as I can and you will offer me the same courtesy. We all can have quiet together.

While not everyone conforms to this alignment, we’re all aware of the common understanding of how loud Americans are when vacationing abroad.

Birds sing in England, birds call in America. 

Coop Board President in NYC (Queens) for 14 years.  Safe to say, all manner of noise complaints have been brought to me for resolution.  

Granted, so much depends on the building structure itself.  Prewar, wooden floor  joist buildings are going to transmit all manner of sounds and vibrations.  Sheetrock walls, unlike plaster walls, do not muffle sound.  

What can you do?  Point #1 - Nothing and I repeat nothing (speakers, electronics, speakers, TVs) should share a common wall with a neighbor.  All interior to you.  

In your case, you directly coupled your speakers to the floor.  Simple solution ... de-couple them.  I would not be very open to whatever arguments regarding your music that you would make.  You attached your speakers to a common surface.  

Point #2 - 8AM is too early to start in with your music.  Just is.  I am writing this at 9AM on a Tuesday and I would be super PO'd if music were lofting in from above me.  

In my building, we have seen the proliferation of pianos and children practicing.  Parents get their kids started early on weekend mornings.  It's awful.  

Add to this mix ... municipal construction noise, lawn mowing, cars, buses ... you get the idea.  

You did mention you have good soundproofing in your place,  Could be your neighbor just got tired of the morning symphonies?  You would think if everyone survived WFH, you would be ok going forward.  Maybe they just retired or had a change in work set-up.  It had to be loud enough to pass through 2 rooms and elicit a complaint.  

Still ... you are in a cooperative living situation ... cooperate.  

I would love to go loud at times with my stereo ... I just don't.  If you live with someone, what do they think of the sound level?   

Rich