Would I benefit with Roon?

I use a Bluesound Node 2i with a power supply upgrade in my main system and a Vault 2i in my second system. The Vault has about 800 CDs and my old iTunes in it. They are both on the same LAN so I can access either and listen anywhere in my home. I stream mostly Qobuz, Amazon Music, and various streams through Tune In. I like the Bluesound App (on two computers in two locations) a lot, but find that it gets clunky and has to be rebooted from time to time.

Would I benefit with Ron?

adeep42

Roon has changed how I listen to music for the better. It watches what you listen to and suggests similar music. The suggestions have always been good and led me in new directions. The UI is very good. I’ve got a Tidal subscription and 1500 CDs in iTunes. It feels like I’ve got every recording in the world in my personal library. (I don’t, of course, but there’s not much I can’t find.)

Roon sometimes calls themselves “Airplay for Audiophiles.”  Roon is led by software designers and is very much an engineering based company, IMO. They have written proprietary software for moving the digital sound files thru your network with no loss. But you can run using Airplay, which is how I got stared with Roon. 

Couple of downsides…

You need to have some admin chops to install and Troubleshoot Roon.

Roon crowdsources their support. My experience on the rare times I’ve had problems was not good. My fix was to uninstall Roon and reinstall it. Once was with a poorly tested release.  

Finally, Roon does not support Amazon Music. 

Good news is that Roon is generally stable and works great  I’m a fan and don’t intend to drop them  Roon was recently purchased by Harman and it appears their engineering focus will continue.  I do hope they’ll get better at support  

@zgas-music And by golly the Roon Labs Community like the folks here have helpful folks when/if you needed. Don’t know about BlueSound support but Lumin and Grimm support are excellent and fast.

I did a 180 on living in Roon once I got it sounding great...a lot of it was my back of the house network stuff. Ethernet, switch, filtration, DAC, maybe even a clock too gets one there.

Recently Roon added the ability to save tracks into my Qobuz playlists. No more jumping from one app to another needed. Nice!

Thank you all for your most useful input and thoughts. One thing I wasn't aware of, that Roon doesn't support Amazon Music. I don't think that Amazon is any where as good in terms of audio as Qobuz, but I do like a lot of their playlists and stations. Is there a workaround?

@adeep42 Its been a couple years since I looked into Amazon Music on Roon. I was told that Roon needs a list (daily?) of changes in the offerings from the streamers. Amazon could not or would not provide it. Have not investigated lately. I’m a Prime member, so it would be nice if Roon could offer Amazon Music. TBH, I’ve not missed it…

I am the go poster. Another big question. I listen to some FM stations using Tune In. Is that compatible with Roon?