Focal v Wilson

how would folks that have heard both compare a Focal Alto Utopia BE to a Wilson Watt/Puppy 7?

thanks

edelbby

I would try these new in the box Revel 328be. I have bought from this seller before. Not sure where you are located, these are in Michigan. The 328be is a near perfect speaker with almost no real flaw other than it lacks an exotic cabinet of much more expensive product. It is one of the best box speakers I have heard.

https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/650098383-revel-performabe-f328be-brand-new-high-gloss-black/

Post removed 

Let me start this way, considering buying a a 20 years old Wilson Watt Puppy is a little risky. Wilson is a good choice however in 20 years speaker technology made significant progress. I always prefer Wilson to Focal at any price point comparison. Focal has more choice at any price points. Focal has some harshness at high end, also over exaggeration of lows which makes midrange moving to background a bit. Wilson newer models has excellent high/mid/low balance. Wilson also has good service through the dealers. If you need a woofer replacement, it is relatively cheaper. Borresen X series is excellent for the money, a bit to analytical and digital. Sonus Faber are good furniture accent but not so good speaker, veiled midrange is not for me. Alta Audio is also very good. Don’t buy a speaker without a comparison. Your ears will tell which one is the best. You need solid state amp for both Wilson and Focal, they are power hungry, if you use tube amp, always you will be missing something. That is why, you will never see neither a Wilson nor a Focal presented with tube amps at HiFi conventions. My suggestion would be a recent Wilson Sabrina and Hegel 590 combo. Hegel 590 is superb amp. 

@audioman58 even if you buy eight to $10,000 speakers that were originally 15 to 20, you have to understand that they are still going to need cables that cost about 15 to 20 grand to make them work right in your entire cable loom.

The biggest problem you have is your amplifier at the moment you need everything basically so you really need a budget that’s about triple to accomplish the sonic goals you’re looking for 1/3 on cables one on speakers and one on electronics

Really??? How did you decide on such a precise amount too? What made you such an expert on cable prices and the never ending miracle that comes out of them w.r.t price?

Between the two I’d go with the Wilsons. Better balanced too to bottom. You will get a more realistic presentation with better dynamics. Wilson Audio customer service will most likely take care of you no matter what you may need for the speakers. Focal customer service for an older model like that you really need to research to be sure they are able to support your needs. 
I also agree on the amplifier being a concern with either model. Consider amp upgrade down the road.