Apple Macintosh Music System

This post has been along time coming for me. I have been lurking around for years, and have learned a lot from the people here. So here it is....

I really like my Apple Mac and iPhone. I like the quality hardware and simple software. I like that it works. I like than I can automatically backup with Time Machine and Time Capsule. I like the AirPort Express. I like the Remote App. I have ripped all of my music to Apple Lossless. I have a main system that I connect directly to and other systems that I stream using the AirPort Express. I like the way Apple allows me to access my music and share it with other devices, and around the house. I am very, VERY happy with my Apple setup.

I want to squeeze every bit of "musical information" out of my Apple system. Here is what I have found works best, but please feel free to make recommendations. I haven't listened to and tried everything.

1. MacBook Pro with a nice SSD drive. It sounds silly, but the SSD makes a huge difference. Not to mention how quick boot time and app launches are.

2. Van Den Hul polished glass optical cable to DAC. I've tried "coax" and "USB", but the optical output seems to sound a little better and more consistent.

3. Altmann DAC with a Optima Red Top power supply. Geeky, but that DAC sounds wonderful when battery powered.

4. Altmann AMP or 47 Labs Shigaraki amp. Both are sweet and gentle.

5. 47 Labs Lens speaker. Amazing!

6. 47 Labs OTA cable for interconnect and speaker cable.

As you can see, I like a smaller (more intimate) sound. I have owned a lot of Linn and Naim gear in the past, but the Altmann and 47 Labs gear still amazes me with every listen.

I'm open to something new, if I can improve.

What other DACs with optical inputs should I consider?

What about "chip amps" and single driver designs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time....
timbrepitch
I do not know what effect these conversions you are accomplishing within iTunes will have on the SQ of the files. I have not tried it myself. More important is using Error Correction on the original rip, as well as the ripping software that implements that correction. As far as the double conversions, in theory, all those file types are bit-for-bit. You may want to try one, then rip the same file directly to AIFF and compare the two to see if there is a loss in SQ. Just a thought.
I was thinking of the same thing - I originally switched to WAV due to very clear improvement in sound quality compared to LossLess formats - I will migrate "smoothly" before runing any risks. Thanks for the tip.
I originally switched to WAV due to very clear improvement in sound quality compared to LossLess formats

Since the lossless files are supposedly bit-for-bit, the only explanation I can come up for this difference you are hearing (and I have heard in the past in some instances), is that it takes some processing power from the computer to decompress AL, whereas the WAV file requires no decompression. Other than that they should be the same. But what I've been finding with computer audio, much like conventional analog audio, is that virtually everything you do makes a difference.
Agreed - these are no more than partial steps towards a hopefully near futute of easy-to-use and reproduce Hi-Rez downloads.
Timbrepitch, since I heard a Mac Powerbook Pro running Amarra and using Firewire to a Weiss Minerva, I have been on a quest to have that system. To put it succinctly, I now have it up and running and have never heard anything approaching this digital front end. I use only AIFF encoding as it was recommended by many I trust. I have compared Apple Lossless encodings and do much prefer the AIFF. I have used WAV, which I understand is largely the same as AIFF and heard no difference.

You are in good condition having the SSD, as I agree it sounds better, but I think you do need to use Firewire to connect with your dac. I must say that the Weiss Minerva is probably a central element in the sound I am getting. Also, you need to turnoff you Airport while playing music. It really makes a difference.