Apple Macintosh Music System

This post has been along time coming for me. I have been lurking around for years, and have learned a lot from the people here. So here it is....

I really like my Apple Mac and iPhone. I like the quality hardware and simple software. I like that it works. I like than I can automatically backup with Time Machine and Time Capsule. I like the AirPort Express. I like the Remote App. I have ripped all of my music to Apple Lossless. I have a main system that I connect directly to and other systems that I stream using the AirPort Express. I like the way Apple allows me to access my music and share it with other devices, and around the house. I am very, VERY happy with my Apple setup.

I want to squeeze every bit of "musical information" out of my Apple system. Here is what I have found works best, but please feel free to make recommendations. I haven't listened to and tried everything.

1. MacBook Pro with a nice SSD drive. It sounds silly, but the SSD makes a huge difference. Not to mention how quick boot time and app launches are.

2. Van Den Hul polished glass optical cable to DAC. I've tried "coax" and "USB", but the optical output seems to sound a little better and more consistent.

3. Altmann DAC with a Optima Red Top power supply. Geeky, but that DAC sounds wonderful when battery powered.

4. Altmann AMP or 47 Labs Shigaraki amp. Both are sweet and gentle.

5. 47 Labs Lens speaker. Amazing!

6. 47 Labs OTA cable for interconnect and speaker cable.

As you can see, I like a smaller (more intimate) sound. I have owned a lot of Linn and Naim gear in the past, but the Altmann and 47 Labs gear still amazes me with every listen.

I'm open to something new, if I can improve.

What other DACs with optical inputs should I consider?

What about "chip amps" and single driver designs?

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time....
timbrepitch

Showing 6 responses by flg2001

I did the same going from LoseLess to WAV - and delete manually the original files.

I will try with an specific playlist and let all know...

Thanks again.
I am just in the process to upgrade my vurrent Digital front end as well - I have ripped all my CD collection to WAV files iinto my iMacthru iTunes this is replicated to an AppleTV storage that goes to my Reimyo DAC via TosLink at my dedicated audio toom.

Iam planning to change the AppleTV for a Macmini and explore a new software that runs over iTunes and says improve the sound (sorry folks - the name just escaped from my mind but will re-search and post it).

I heard a lot of HiRez at CES last week - it is the way to go in the run of matching my analog etup.
I have experimented no issues working with WAV files on the MAC so far, all track names, art cover and extended file info (like star rating) are there....

Thanks for reminding us the name of the software to improve iTunes files Jax2, some say that using this software iTunes is more "listenable" and pretty close to CD - I will try it for sure.

HiRex is an ongoing project worlwide - some companies like HDTracks are starting to see some growth but there are many considerations behind (inlcuding the USB/Coax debate, DAC compatibility and the like) but looks like the way to go for a digital fron-end in the coming years.

Fernando
Jax2 - now I am scared!!! :-)

Is there any way to convert my WAV files at iTunes to AIFF in a seamless way?
I was thinking of the same thing - I originally switched to WAV due to very clear improvement in sound quality compared to LossLess formats - I will migrate "smoothly" before runing any risks. Thanks for the tip.
Agreed - these are no more than partial steps towards a hopefully near futute of easy-to-use and reproduce Hi-Rez downloads.