Praise for DacMagic

Just wanted to give some very positive feedback for the Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC. It doesn't seem to get much attention around these forums, but I am enjoying it immensely. In my opion, terrific value for the money.

During the past few weeks, I have used it with great success both within a PC music server and 2-channel environments.

Who knows, I may end up switching it out for a better DAC in the future, but for now I am quite pleased.

As a side note, I was not impressed with it at first when used to enhance an NAD C541 CDP. On a whim, I switched out the NAD for a modest Sony DVD player that is around 5-7 years old. Then, everything came into place and the music was rich and detailed. The Sony DVD/DacMagic combination blew the doors off the NAD/DacMagic combination. Go figure...
Ag insider logo xs@2xheadshrinker2
So I can expect to get better sound from a differnt transport? After reading this months Stereophile I gave up hope of getting better sound with a better transport.
I've had varying experiences with different transports with the DacMagic. On a very old Nak single disc player from a customer, the DacMagic made very little difference when I was expecting substantial difference. A Cambridge Audio 640C V2 was clearly superior to this old Nak player. But when a DacMagic was connected to a Cambridge 640C V2 as a transport, the DacMagic was definitely a notable improvement. So, based on that, a person would think that the DacMagic would blow away the Nak from its analog outs, but for some reason it didn't respond well to the Nak as a transport.

Other people here have had varying levels of improvements depending on the type of transport used. Regardless of what reviewers or others say, I trust my ears first. For me, I have definitely noticed sound quality differences with various transports and the DacMagic.
I truely have come to grow fond of the Dacmagic. I previously was using a highly regarded SACD player that was several years old and I find the the Dacmagic to be a very notiable improvement with CD's. It is like moving from mid-hall to a front row seat at a concert. I understand that some may not like that presentation but I find it very pleasing. It has added improved dynamics, detail, and exitement to my music listening sessions. I think Dacmaigic is not given enough credit for everything it does accomplish. Possibly it should have been put in a fancier box, weight andded, and the price raised to $995.
just kidding of course, I'm greatful to Chambridge bringing such an accomplished product to the market at such an afordable price. Many can experience tuely fine sound that may not have been able to otherwise.
I am interested in some additional comparisons between Dacmagic and the Benchmark DAC1 if anyone has direct experience I would like to get additional feedback. I'm all fired up about audio again now.
Any new thoughts on the DAC Magic?

I recently upgraded my speakers to Ohm Micro Walsh Talls which are connected to a Parasound AVC-1800 and HCA-2205 amp. I find that my old Sony DVD player isn't quite cutting it in relation to the rest of the system.

I'm on the fence regarding Blu-Ray/SACD, and am thinking that committing to new formats isn't such a good idea for me if I can improve on redbook with a DAC. I listen exclusively in 2-channel anyway, and won't make the best use fancier formats.

Any further opinions on the DAC Magic would be great!
Hello! i just acquired Dac Magic recently and mated this with an old cheap Marantz cc-3000 5 carousel for my 2nd system ( all s/s) and th result is good very satisfactory and few days ago just received a new Harmonic Technology Digital copper and even sounded better.Now i have to break it in the cable for the better.
You cant go wrong with Dac Magic....you hear the magic!