New expensive power cord for amp and no change in sound?

I bought new an expensive(for me) well known and reviewed power cord for my very good amp and plugged it directly onto the wall socket. After a couple of weeks of daily use I hear no change in the sound quality from a $500 cord. I don’t want to name it for fear of getting my thread deleted. You would know it or at least be aware of the company. Did I throw away several thousand dollars? Before I get the snake oil answer I want to let you know that I bought an upgraded cord for my pre as suggested by the pre’s manufacturer and am pleased with the results.

I guess for full disclosure the amp’s manufacturer said don’t bother. But I had had good luck with the pre so I thought it would be a good idea.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

roxy1927
Post removed 

@immatthewj To me that bumps up against the problem of why does different have to cost so much.  I understand people like to switch tubes and compare.  When it turns into you need to try this simple mechanical device that just happens to cost $4,000 I lose interest.  It feels too much like exploiting OCD, which we all have at least a little.

@jon_5912  , I guess it all comes down to what you get for your 4k and whether or not what you get is worth 4k to you.  In this case, I think OP is saying he cannot hear ANY difference between $500 and "several k.".  But perhaps in other applications the consumer might hear a difference.  You asked why the manufacturers are not putting high dollar cords on their stuff that they send out if it makes a difference, and I simply think that they do not want to raise the msrp that much on an upgrade that not everyone thinks is important and wants to pay a lot for.

A few thoughts:

1. Can you return it?
  2. Is it the same cord as on your preamp?  Have you swapped cords on the pre-amp and amp as an experiment
  3. I don't view it as you threw money away if you are enjoying music and the process.  If you can't return it, perhaps you can sell it or even let a friend experiment to gauge their experience.  (I'm making the assumption, you are disappointed but still have a lot of things to be grateful for!)

Without the components and names of the power cords involved this is not a useful thread. I can’t imagine a thread being deleted by naming the components involved. That is the basic function of this forum.

@roxy1927

When I got the Hegel H390 broken in, I I bought the best Pangea high current cord and heard nothing different. I bought several Audience F3 cables and heard no difference. I bought AQ NRD4 (?) cables and heard no change. I have bought a few others also under $500 and have heard no difference.

I have a friend who is going to loan me some Clarus Crimson and Aqua power cords as well as some XLR’s to try. I’ll let you know if they sound different.