Krell KAV-500 vs S-1500 5 Channel & cables

Hi all,

Wondering if any of you have experience with both the older Krell KAV-500 5 and S-1500 7 channel amps? I read that the S-1500 had some problems (burn ups & hum) when first introduced.

I have a recently purchased/re-capped KAV-500 in my 7.2 HT. The rear surrounds are currently powered by 2 channels of the Marantz Cinema 60 processor.  Front speakers are B&W 804S Nautilus (L&R) and a HTM-1 Center.  Surrounds are 804 Nautilus (not S) and the rear surrounds are B&W SCM-1's on stands. There are 2 JL subs in front.  Cables & interconnects are a mix. Projector is a Sony vpl-5000es laser.

Rooms are combined open living room (13'x19' long, screen on the 19' wall) with "L" into 13'x'13' dining room with rear surrounds against back wall in DR 26' from front screen/electronics &. 20' cathedral ceiling over both.

Question: is it worth pursuing the more powerful used S-1500 or does it have the same sonic signature as the KAV-500? The KAV seems to have plenty of power but some dialog can sound "hollow" and slightly tipped up.  Also, there is some occasional HF distortion during musical passages on shows (not using it for 2 channel listening).

Cabling is single 25' run of Wireworld (not the top of the line can check model) to the surrounds and bi-wire (cables & interconnects we were going to manufacture) to the fronts & center. 14 gauge single long run generic wire to the rear surrounds.

Any input for sonic improvement would be appreciated. No room in cabinet for 2 amps (a 2 & a 3 channel). Won't go crazy$$ on cables/IC's if that's where to look. No dedicated lines yet and everything plugged into Richard Gray box except the amp.

Suggestions for sonic improvement appreciated.

Thanks.

tt1man

Just to be clear, what exact model cables are you using for the front L/R/C?  What amp were you using previously, and did you hear these issues before or is it just with the Krell?  Also, what preamp/processor are you using?  All this stuff matters a lot so more info would be very helpful.

Thanks for the reply!

The L/R/C cables are prototypes my previous DAC company developed. Somewhat similar to Nordost/Goertz. Flat extruded teflon over conductors for the HF and silver coated tubular braided wire for the LF as bi-wired pairs.  They were used in audio shows "back then" and are quite good.  Same for the interconnects which replaced WireWorld which were not as open sounding..

If I did look at experimenting with cables, which reasonably priced brands would you suggest work well with B&W-Krell? 8' bi-wired pair L/R & 4' bi-wire to center.

As mentioned, the receiver/processor is a fairly new Marantz Cinema 60.

Previous amp i still have is a 5 channel Butler Audio TDB-5150, which sounds quite nice but not as clear or transparent as the Krell. I did experience some of the same slight HF distortion with it as well.  Wondering if the lower cost WireWord single run to the surrounds could be contributing factor?

Do you think it's worth pursuing the S-1500 Krell yet? Also, not sure of the break-in period for the re-capped KAV which might have an effect on HF?

All power cords are shielded heavy gauge stock and hopefully won't have to go down that trial path as well ;-)

Cheers.

I’d maybe give the Krell more time to see if it settles in better as it burns in more, but if not the first place I’d look would be the front interconnects/cables.  I wouldn’t pair any silver cables with older B&W Nautilus speakers and thinking that could be the source of what you’re hearing, especially as it existed with the Butler and got worse with the more transparent Krell.  Plus, of your options cables are probably your cheapest/ easiest option to explore (especially if you’re open to buying used) and are obviously cheap/easy to ship.  If I was you I’d try these Acoustic Zen speaker cables and see if you notice an improvement — you could try them with your L/R fronts and then separately with your center to gauge the effect on all your front speakers.  I’m thinking they’ll have fuller mids and more refined highs that could be a better fit for your system, and if they don’t work out you can turn around and sell them at little/no loss as there’s a liquid market for used AZ cables.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/235430798208

Anyway, that’s what I’d do FWIW, and best of luck.

Good advice. I'll concentrate on the cables/interconnects while the Krell burns in. 

I met "Mr. Zen" years ago at a show in Vegas.  Nice speakers, one of the best sounds there.

Thanks again for the feedback.

All the best.