Economical alternative to Wadia ipod dock?

I'm helping my 20-something son put together a system. He knows digital; I know analog...kind of. He currently stores the majority of his music on an ipod. What docking mechanism for the ipod would you recommend to feed into a DAC for a best-musical-experience for the buck? From what I can tell the choices out there are the Wadia 170i and ?. Thanks in advance for any ideas you can give me.
128x128mdrummer01
I tried the Wadia and found it ergonomicaly inept. Its a great concept, but not user friendly at all IMO. I don't want to have to control it using the iPod, and the remote is worthless.

That leads me to (haven't bought it yet) the Apple TV. Think of it as a large (physically, not capacity) iPod with a Toslink digital output. Very easy to set up and control, and because it uses its own internal memory, no computer needs to be running. That also means no dropouts due to interference. The Apple TV can be controlled using a TV and/or an iPhone/iPod touch.

Going straight out of a computer is a great idea, if its not practical in his situation, the Apple TV should work very well. I played around with one at the Apple store, but they didn't have the larger one in stock at the time. I've been meaning to pick on up but haven't gotten around to it.

Also, don't base your decision on the Apple TV on the store employees. They have no idea what they're talking about regarding it. A team of 3 people all gave me contradicting info that they argued about. Among other things, they all told me that the iPhone/Touch can't control it. They also told me a universal remote like a Harmony can't. Wrong on both accounts.
Apple TV is the way to go: $225 (too bad the price just went up it was $199) for the 40GB model. It has an optical out, is extremely easy to use and sounds excellent. I avoided the Wadia becuase it clearly was "ergonomically inept" -- the AppleTV is the opposite. And you can stream internet radio at reasonably high sound quality.

Plus there's a lot of video options if that is of any interest.
also make sure your son starts ripping files losslessly. benefits of the outboard dac are ~nil if all of his files are highly conmpressed.
Thanks to all for your ideas and considerations, they are sincerely appreciated though not totally understood...at least by me. I will share with him the contents of this thread then make some decisions about where to go next. I did purchase/order a DAC (Cambridge Audio Magic) as part of the system. Any words of advice about getting the most out of this arrangement? Thanks again.