Records not stored vertically for decades

I’m looking to eventually get my vinyl rig back up n running and went to get my albums and found they’ve been lying flat probably for decades in two stacks of about 75 albums in each stack.  Any chance they’re still in good shape, or what damage may have been done versus being stored vertically?  They’ve been in a dry, temperature-controlled basement the whole time.  No way to play them right now so just hoping they might still be ok.  Thanks for thoughts.

soix

@Soix - The records may be noisier and or skippy because the lower ones will have quite a bit of pressure on them so any surface contaminants are going to be well pressed into the grooves.

If 150 records is the totality of your collection, I would also carefully consider the opportunity cost of investing in a vinyl playback system versus what else you could do with your system.

lewm is right. If you have a friend with a decent analog rig, take some samples to him and give them a spin. Given the high cost of quality gear, it’s a good step.

A couple decades of records being stacked may actually help some warped LPs straighten out, in my non-informed opinion 

@lewm Raul’s Pontus are not valid or useful for my situation.  Did you not read my post?  I mentioned both the storage conditions and that I currently can’t play the albums, so I was simply asking what damage may have been done by storing the records flat in piles rather than upright/vertical.  That’s all.

@yoyoyaya Thanks for your thoughts regarding contaminants — that makes a lotta sense and makes me hope my better records are near the top 🤞🤞🤞.  Also, I already have a turntable/phono pre ready to go so won’t cost anything to get going but currently don’t have a place to set up my system due to personal circumstances.  Looking forward to rediscovering vinyl though.

@soix Here's my best guess as to what you may eventually encounter:

If the stacks were perfectly stacked one atop each other (i.e.  records and/or jackets not askew here & there) so that there was equal pressure on each disk and the floor was perfectly flat, the top 5 to 7 records of each stack might have some degree warping.  I don't think you have anything to worry about regarding groove damage.  The major concern, I believe, would be dust, mold spores or other fine infiltrates in the storage environment, especially if the records were not ensconced in and inserted properly into good quality anti-static inner and/or outer record sleeves.  If I were you, I would invest in a good record cleaning machine or system before playing those records on a good TT.  Depending upon how much you want to spend, there are a number of record cleaning options to consider (e.g.  ultrasonic, vacuum machines; manual cleaning; etc.).  Have a read (i.e.  not an easy read but worth the time) of this: Vinyl Record Manual Cleaning Process (thevinylpress.com)

Investing in a good TT is, obviously, also a must if you want good sound quality.  If you ultimately decide to go ultrasonic cleaning and don't want to spend 4K or more on a nifty ultrasonic cleaning machine, have a look at this: CleanerVinyl Ultrasonic Record Cleaning

Good Luck!