40+ watts SET, cost is not a problem

Friends,

Hope everyone is well here. I am visiting after a long time. I have a query on behalf of a close buddy of mine. He is using a pair of TAD CR1x loudspeakers. Gorgeous speakers for sure. The source is an EMT 927 TT & JPA66 preamp. For the amplification things are getting tricky. He has tried the TAD M700s reference power amp and while it sounds very controlled, it doesn't have the openness and dimensionality of tone that a good tube/SET amp provides. We are considering trying a good SET for this system. Given that TAD needs some power blossom well and expand on effortlessly, at least 40 watts of SET power would be needed. The quick choices are Kondo Kagura & Wavac HE833 Mk2. But I need more suggestions on these and other comparative products.

1. Has anyone heard the Kondo and Wavac gears to suggest a comparison? I am just a bit worried on the amount of Silver used in Kondo. I have normally found that silver takes away something from the flow and harmonics. Tell me more about it.

2. What other options can be considered in this realm? No SS please. Looking for SET options primarily.

Room size is moderate 17 x 13 feet. Music preferred are classic rock, jazz, pop and some classical

pani

@charles1dad I conquer with you completely. There is something so natural about the way SET present music. What it does with distortion is true and theoretical but it must be preserving something vital to make music sound so "right".

Having said that I am totally open to exploring PP amps. @atmasphere will your Novacron work well with a load like TAD CR1x ? Normally OTLs also need friendly loads. Hence I ask

Has anyone here heard the Wavac preamps?

If I go for SET, I am strongly considering AN (UK) Gaku-on but I don't like AN preamps. They are way too colored and even slow. I have owned M6 and M8. Sold them both because of their colored and slowish (too much body and tone) sound. But I absolutely love Wavac preamp. Fast and dynamic without losing harmonics

If you want something a bit less polite than Audio Note, the Atmasphere linestages and preamps are quite good--very clean, clear, and not overly warm, yet they don't sound harmonically bleached out.  

You did not specify what features you require in the linestage.  To me, remote control is not just a convenience, it is a necessity.  There tends to be a fairly small range of volume one wants to listen to music, and that setting can change even within a single recording.  It is quite hard to tell when the volume is right unless you can do it with remote control while sitting in the ideal spot.  With tube gear in particular, a balance control is essential.  The system will inevitably develop minor channel imbalances and one can go mad chasing down the cause or instantly cure the issue with judicious use of a balance control.

I liked what I heard and saw with the Backert linestages--nice sound, simple design, remote volume control, balance control, and serious people backing the product.

@larryi I dont have any particular need for the remote. Considering that we will go with a Gaku-on, what is critical is a well matched preamp which doesnt short change or create any sonic anomaly (due to character mismatch). Many people say it is best to get the pre-power from the same brand for this reason. Do you think it is okay to get a different brand of preamp without auditioning it with the power amp in question, that too when we are building it ground up?