I don't get it...Exile on main Street-Blue

I love to listen to great podcast/interviews with great musicians. Last night i listened to Rick Beato interview Maynard from the great band Tool. Besides being a fantastic conversation, Maynard told Rick the two most influential albums for his music inspiration are Joni Mitchell Blue, and Black Sabbath's first self titled record.

I understand and love Black Sabbaths first record, but I have listened to JM Blue countless times and just don't understand what the hype is. Full disclosure I love female vocalists, and I also love Joni's  Court and a Spark. With that said I have heard many musicians rave about Blue. Please enlighten me-what am I missing ?

The other head scratcher for me is Exile on Main Street by the Stones. Again I have heard many musicians rave about this double album. I don't get it... Beggars Banquet-Let it Bleed-Sticky Fingers are so much better in my opinion, but just like Blue, It seems like musicians much prefer Exile on Main Street.

I know its all subjective...but these are two records I have never learned to appreciate. Thoughts ?

krelldog

I’ve always felt "Let It Bleed" was the Stones greatest album and easily the best Rock and Roll album of all time. Only thing that could have made it better was to have had the original "Honky Tonk Woman" on it instead of that lame "Country Honk" version they include instead. I never could figure why "Exiles on Main Street" was considered by many to be their best.

I do think Joni Miitchell’s "Blue" was a great album though. I now have her entire catalog and still play her records with some frequency. She was an acquired taste though. My sister used to have and play the "Blue" album and I thought it was too girly then. My mistake.

On a related note, many critics point to Sgt. Pepper as being the Beatles best album. I was always a Beatles fan, but thought that record was much too contrived. Like "Exiles" I never could understand what prompted anyone to like it so much. But different strokes for different folks. (By the way, Clapton and Duane Allman’s "Layla" is still the second best album of all time after "Let It Bleed" Accept no substitutes.

Nice thread krelldog,

Mike

@grislybutter right on, might be interested. Any chance you can share the catalog number?  How is the condition?

Let is Bleed is the best Stones album in my mind, but best of all? Impossible to choose...

My 1 cent

I listen primarily to Classical but I was a huge Stones fan in my teens.  I disliked Exile when it came out and for the most part hated it, and never bought a Stones album again.  I tried streaming it a few months ago and could only get about a third of the way through before boredom set in.  I can still listen to Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed with enjoyment.

My wife is a huge Joni fan but dislikes Blue

@skyscraper ,

It's 'Honky Tonk Women', not woman.

I'm an annoying stickler about stuff like that.