Any one measured the EMI/RFI attenuation performance of audiophile power conditioners?

Hello,

I was looking for a very good/robust power conditioner which will clean up reliably very noisy/dirty power supply that I have in my aprtment. While looking for one I went through catlogs of AudioQuest, Shunyata Research, Synergestic Research etc. but no one published charts showing attenuation performance over frequency range like you get for EMI filters from Schurter or Schaffner etc. which are in the industry for EMI/EMC compliance.

Since audio is very subjective, but contrary to audio reproduction Power and EMI/RFI reduction is completely objective and can be clearly demonstrated via attenuation charts.

Hence I am asking if anyone has measured the actual performance of these audiophile power conditioners. I am not denying someone saying they hear improvement after using XYZ product, but since I am talking about power conditioning or EMI reduction it's as objective as it can be.

I am not at all surprised to see all the manufacturers not publishing the performance data, else it would be used in other industries and research fields where it's far more critical and have far more stringent requirements on the performance of conditioner/EMI filters. But I am shocked to see even products ranging above 5-10K are following the same practice of not publishing the results.

Please note I am not a measurement fanatic, but I know where I can chase the measurements and where I can rely on my hearing to gauge the difference.

Regards,

Audio_phool

128x128audio_phool

audio_phool... not everyone has the option/luxury of trying all at home. So listening is not always the viable option ..

Many local dealers allow in home auditions. Many online dealers allow returns.

... if you don’t find anything wrong with zero specs for a power conditioner costing $28K then may God help you.

It’s not likely that an audiophile will spend $28K on anything without an audition first. You’re just being silly.

@cleeds  you don't get home audition from dealers all over the world. So that option is out of the question. So is the option of return from online dealers.

My system which retails north of USD 30K, I have bought it blind without any audition. So when you don't have option to try before  , you purchase blindly.

Lastly something like power conditioner whose performance cometely objective, you are fine to buy it without seeing any specs or being fine with lack of specs (even if it costs 28K) is funny in the first place. Will you do the same thing with sports car even if they didn't mention a single spec about engine, performance etc.?

Audio_phool

audio_phool OP

53 posts

My system which retails north of USD 30K, I have bought it blind without any audition. So when you don't have option to try before  , you purchase blindly.

Where do you live?

audio_phool

... you don’t get home audition from dealers all over the world. So that option is out of the question ...

It’s certainly true that some dealers do not offer home auditions. I’ve found that the "better" dealers - the ones who sell gear other than just mid-fi or mass market electronics - usually do provide the option.

Many online dealers advertise 30-day (or longer) trials. Brick-and-mortar dealers who offer this option don’t necessarily advertise it and it’s likely they won’t offer it to some nameless voice on the end of a phone. If you’re in the shop, it’s likely they’ll qualify you before offering the option. It’s that way with many high end sales. Home auditions are common, so simply stating "that option is out of the question" is plain silly.

My system which retails north of USD 30K, I have bought it blind without any audition.

I can’t imagine buying components that way but I hope it worked out for you.

@tvad I live in India. @cleeds From your comments I can completely understand that you have no idea whatso ever about Indian HiFi scenario. And since you have no clue about the scene hence your ignorant remarks.

My system is rocking and I don't even feel for a second thst there is any component that I don't like in my chain or I should have tried to listen to some component before buying.

Besides coming to the original point, for power conditioner there is no part of it's performance which is subjective. Every aspect of power conditner objective and it can be measured. Hence allowing audiophile power conditioner manufacturer not to publish complete specs when they cost so much is completely absurd & there is no room to say you can decide the performance by audtioning it at home. Besides I have shown in the table how murky this audiophile power conditioner business is. If you still want to support this practice, then may god save you.

Audio_phool