Ayre QB-9 USB DAC

Has anyone heard this unit? Does anyone know how this unit is supposed to compare to their all in one players?
blackstonejd
As far as I know it's not out yet. CES 2009 was the first introduction. I haven't heard a specific release date.
Charles Hansen has been discussing the QB-9 at some length in the forums over at Audio Asylum. Late April release was the last word, I think. Ayre also has some technical material up on their Web site discussing the asynchronous USB implementation that's the DAC's big selling point.
I heard one today - with a mac laptop, ayre integrated, and thiel 1.6 speakers. I was amazed by the sound. Heard new new information, texture and clarity in a recording I've listened to hundreds of times.
I haven't heard it yet, but I was at an audio open house where an Ayre rep was describing upcoming products. What should distinguish the Ayre from many other USB DACs is that they are using (under license) the synchronization and decoding scheme developed by Wavelength Audio. Various posts here, articles, and reviews I've read indicate that the Wavelength USB products equal or outperform SP/DIF converters, whereas typical USB converters don't sound as good as SP/DIF. Although Ayre gear isn't cheap, I'm hoping the licensing arrangement makes the Wavelength decoding scheme more affordable and available than before.

I recall a post a few months ago where an A-goner said that his PC hooked to a Wavelength Cosecant ended his quest for a better CD player once and for all.