Ethernet cables

Hello everybody!

I would like to have your opinions about Ethernet cables. I recently saw some silly expensive Ethernet cables! Do you think it is worth spending a huge amount for a cable which transfers data? Your thoughts please! 
Thank you!

128x128thanasakis

I can be specific on what exactly the silver plated wire ethernet cables did for my system with my previous NUC based music server.  The clarity of the music improved.  The highs smoothed out- less of that glare.  The first time I plugged in one of the better cables the highs sounded worse.  I let it break in for a day but it still sounded worse than a cheap cable.  Then I thought to turn the cable around and the sound changed for the better- much better.  It made streaming sound closer to my CD Transport going into my DAC.

I have since moved up to a better DAC which then caused me to have to upgrade my music server as well.  My theory is that this DAC and music server, because they both have isolation and re-clocking, they should be less dependent on the digital cables (Ethernet and USB) for good sound.   Only right now my system sounds too good to tamper with it.  I’m just not motivated to do any additional experimenting.  You know, if it is not broken, don’t fix it.  Sometime I will, out of curiosity, put some cheap cables in my system to see how this DAC and music server perform.

soix

I'm being truthful and, as an electrical engineer, i know a thing or two about cable/wire electronics and that's how i contribute to this thread.

"It’s really sad and pathetic." so you resort to name calling.

I will give you an example. A USB cable ABC manufactured by this massive cable factory Sinotek in Shenzen, China. Look it up you will get good ideas about cable manufacturing.

1. You can buy this ABC for $10 on Amazon.

2. Or you come up with an idea so you decorate the cable (with fancy jacket logo printed heat shrink tubing, etc.) oh and dip it in snake oil and sell the same cable for $1000... make sure you (or someone you hired) write a post(s) claiming " it makes a startlingly significant improvement!". Why not? what's wrong with making money. On the other hand you can be a sad person to buy one for 1k when you get to live on a small income.

Later

@classicrockfan Do you believe there are audible differences, either good or bad, in analog cables? 

@ghasley

all cables sound the same man!

btw, all speakers sound the same, and all food wine coffee tastes the same, and all cars drive the same

later dude...

🤣

@jjss49 thanks for this post, I almost spit out my triple latte grand machiato whipped double shot of Kenyan and Ethiopean coffee.