How important is the efficiency of a speaker to you?

I went to an audio meeting recently and heard a couple of good sounding speakers. These speakers were not inexpensive and were well built. Problem is that they also require a very large ss amp upstream to drive them. Something that can push a lot of current, which pretty much rules out most low-mid ( maybe even high) powered tube amps. When I mentioned this to the person doing the demo, i was basically belittled, as he felt that the efficiency of a speaker is pretty much irrelevant ( well he would, as he is trying to sell these speakers). The speaker line is fairly well known to drop down to a very low impedance level in the bass regions. This requires an amp that is going to be $$$, as it has to not be bothered by the lowest impedances.

Personally, if I cannot make a speaker work with most tube amps on the market, or am forced to dig deeply into the pocketbook to own a huge ss amp upstream, this is a MAJOR negative to me with regards to the speaker in question ( whichever speaker that may be). So much so, that I will not entertain this design, regardless of SQ.

Your thoughts?

128x128daveyf

@lonemountain You are inferring something I did not say with this statement:   

The idea that lower efficiency is always done as a cost saving excercise is clearly not true.   

I don't need to repeat myself here. But it may interest you to know that high efficiency drivers, in particular woofers can be 10x more expensive than drivers of similar bandwidth and power handling that are not efficient. As an example the TAD 1602s (15", 97dB, Fs 22Hz) are typically $4000.00 each. Put a field coil into the mix and the driver gets even more expensive.

What I said when you quoted me is correct.

Dear @phusis  and friends:  we have to remember that atmasphere is a tube electronics and from several " vintage " years his flag ship argument to hit class A and AB solid state amps always is that: harsness/brigthness " but with out real facts. His article is only bla bla bla as always in that regards.

If he can proves what is his solid state agenda then that comes here and shows at least 10 SS top/high power amps tha showed what he said in the last 10 years with measures of those amps and what the reviewers said it about. Here one example  and the other is my very old 20.6 monoblocks  where just does not happens his bla, bla, bla,:

Halcro dm58 monoblock power amplifier | Stereophile.com

R.

Loudspeaker power handling vs. Efficiency. Magnetic flux modulation compression see here.😎

Mike

In my experience low sensitivity speakers not just make unpleasant compression but also mask microdynamics and texture. It is so obvious that producing low sensitivity drivers is much cheaper. Weak magnets are cheaper, heavier diaphragms are cheaper, rubber suspension are cheaper. But you pay for marketing, and a beautiful box that was lacquered dozens of times.

Dear @alexberger  : Yes you are rigth and I can see your Altec Lansing drivers, that  EMT, the Tamura and the like. Congratulations.

R.