Handling Heavy Amps

There are several amps I’m interested in possibly purchasing but I’m dissuaded because of their weight. I’ve had lower back issues so I need to be careful. I live alone. Even if my wife was still alive she would not have been able to help much. Also Children live far. I see that many of you have these 60-100 pound behemoths and I wonder how do you manage. If I buy from my dealer he’ll load it in my SUV. However when I get home it will be difficult to get it out and onto the garage floor where I can place it on my handcart. Then when I get it next to my rack I need to maneuver it out of the box and up onto the rack. I guess I would need to see if my dealer would deliver it and place it on the rack. Probably for a fee. So that may work. But then if I need to paint, move furniture, resell the unit whatever I would need help. I think I can handle up to 40lbs. So how do you handle these amps? Is it a concern for you?  I’m spoiled by my Benchmark 12 lb AHB2. It’s also the reason I’ve been investigating Class D amps. 

jfrmusic

I’ve narrowed my choices down to three options

Keep the ABH2 and possibly add a second to go bridge mode. 

Bryston 4b3 - Will be auditioning on Monday

Accuphase P-4600 - Will be auditing on Wednesday  

If not much difference compared to what I have or not to my liking then option one at least for now  

The AHB2 will sound different than both of the Bryston 4B3 and Accuphase. I am not a huge Bryston fan anymore, but I would take a 4B3 over a single AHB2 on the Harbeth. I would take 2 AHB2 over the 4B3.

The Accuphase and Harbeth would not work from me long term. Too warm when both are combined.

What does the second AHB2 actually do. Benchmark keeps telling me I would hear no difference unless I was clipping with one   

Now that I am satisfied that my MSB Discrete DAC sounds better direct to my amp than through the Benchmark HPA4 I've listed the preamp on Audiogon.

The second AHB2 will give you more volume on your speakers.  On my NS5000 speaker my stereo AHB2 is about 90% of max volume for about 70-80 dB. I like to use the lowest gain setting on the amp. The middle gain setting does get you a bit more granularity on the volume, but it is not as much as I want. It also varies by sources, SACD, tuner, and DAC. Having monos eliminates this important issue for me (I had monos before).

I am debating whether to trade my silver AHB2 for a HPA4 that someone is looking to trade on USAM. I am not going to use the AHB2 anymore and will stick with the CODA amps for my LRS+ and the NS5000. I expected the AHB2 to be great with the NS5000 but it was not as good as the CODA. Though I bet one day I will say that I wish I had an AHB2 around to try something.

If I had my shipping box for my Holo Serene preamp I would jump on the HPA4. Debating now. I use the LA4 on my Livingroom.