who needs a cd player anymore

I have not used my 2 cd players in over a year and i don't miss them. I have a krell kid ipod player, msb ilink and wadia i170 all ipod based. The real advantage is not having to search though hundreds of cd and wasting time on finding songs. On one ipod touch 32 GB i have over 3,000 itunes plus songs on it. On my other ipod i have apple lossless music only. My point when you lose your cd player and go to a music server, ipod etc. you can enjoy so much more music and thats what its really about.
usarmyvet91
How about LPs and turntables?
CD advocates said 20 years ago that LPs would be obsolete. Now, ipod advocates are saying that CDs would be obsolete.

Two points raised:

1. The real advantage is not having to search though hundreds of cd and wasting time on finding songs.
2. you can enjoy so much more music and thats what its really about.
Usarmyvet91, do you listen to 50~70's jazz and classical music? Many of them are still not released in CDs. Even if they were, the sound quality would be inferior to original LPs. Same goes for mp3 (or encrypted) files.

I guess this is another issue of convenience (and marketing) vs truthfulness, and quantity vs quality of music. They don't need to work against each other and may very well go together, but at least as of now, those enjoy CDs (even LPs, like myself) may not care too much about such convenience and abundance. The way they have listened to music is just fine for them.

You may know very well of how to convert/download/organize music files in a hard drive, but it may not be so easy for many audiophiles, nor may they care, so convenience sometimes does not sell well either.

Here, many people spend several hundreds (or thousands) of dollars for cartridges and cables, several thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars for turntables, speakers, amps and sources, to enjoy sheer beauty of music. Even $20~40 for a new LP.
Now you are telling them how nice is your $400 Wadia transport and your music server of encrypted files, and their love to CDs (or even to LPs) will obsolete soon and be replaced by encrypted music files.
I would be surprised if you get much support here.

When I was in college (25 years ago), a professor in one of my class said that most music would be stored in silicon chips in the near future. Yes, he was right. But I don't remember he said that other music media would be obsolete.
I am a fan of both styles of music delivery. One thing that I love about my music server is the ability to do things like enter "Tony Williams" into a search field and have every album he drums on pop right up. Or type "ECM Records" and there they are. I certainly don't think one side is better than the other but come on...most have to see at least some advantages in either camp.
Synthfreek....I'm a fan of both style of deliveray also, but cd players and turntables upwards of $5k??, ....enough already.

As computers and cell phones got better, they got less expensive. Top end CD and analog keeps getting more expensive.

I'm looking for a way out.

Hard drive based is looking more and more like a viable alernative.
Mith4t nice set up, really like the room. Take the wadia i170 yes its only a few hundred dollars but it can compete with cd transports that cost thousands you can ask anyone who has the wadia i170. audiogon member nrostrov is sending his wadia i170 to asi to get mods done on it a new clock, power supply etc. asi claims that it modded wadia can match or better the sound of some of the best cd transports from cec to esoteic don't know if this is true however when audiogoner nrostrov gets his back from being modded he will post his findings should be interesting. Remember the wadia i170 is really one of the first high end product to cater to the ipod, its still in its early stages. Their will be better and more expensive ipod transports/players in the near future that will really give the cd transport/player a run for its money. When apple comes out with true hd downloads watch out that little ipod will be pretty sweat.
I do, for now! I just got my 1st DAC (CI Audio VDA2)and am thrilled at how it has rejuvenated my enthusiasm for my CD collection. So much so, that I am curious what 24bit/192Mhz music from a music server would sound like. Anyone out there know? Can 24/192 compete with vinyl with an excellent turntable/cartridge? The previous post about HD Itunes is intriguing. I would hate to be an early adopter for a Windows based music server, only to find a great Apple product out in a year or two, for HD music. Tom