12AX7A preamp tubes - ribbed vs smooth plate

So I'm gonna buy some preamp tubes for an amplifier and now I see I have to choose between ribbed and smooth plate (nos telefunken Germany from the 60s).

Anyone have thoughts on which way I should go when I have speakers that are detailed.  

emergingsoul

I only have one component in my main system that uses this tube- Lamm ML2 SET amps. I found the ribbed plate gives a little more bite to the amp, rather than making it too silky, but upline, I’m all tube.

I like this blog: https://medialux.blog/2021/03/25/the-sound-of-some-of-the-most-famous-ecc83/

Back in the day, you could buy old stock Tele 12ax7s for 10 bucks a piece. Now, the price of never used fresh old stock is ridiculous. Most people thus rely on "pulls" that test good- try to get a warranty.

FWIW, I’ve found that my bias settings on the Lamm amps are more stable with truly NOS.

My vintage system uses a bunch of 12ax7 and Tele is probably preferred. Bill Thalmann (RIP) was gracious enough to install old stock Mullard 4004s in the preamp and they sound fine in the context of that system.

Glenn Croft (RIP) told me he used buy Telefunken ECC803S for £5.95 a pop. Now they sell for $1500+

Back in the day, you could buy old stock Tele 12ax7s for 10 bucks a piece

@immatthewj amps use a variety of small signal tubes in their inputs it's also possible the OP is referring to an integrated amp.

@immatthewj amps use a variety of small signal tubes in their inputs it's also possible the OP is referring to an integrated amp.

If this is the same amp(s?) that OP was referring to a while back ago with (I think I remember him saying) 16 output tubes, I wouldn't think it would be an integrated.

It's a mono block amplifier with 8 KT 88 and 6 small tubes (  4 rectifier, 2 preamp).  And in this food chain, it's my understanding the 2 preamp tubes probably impact sound the most.  So this is where I want to spend my money.