Integrated amp: Component weight

I'm an older guy with a bad back looking to spend $5-10K on an integrated amp.  Before I get into functionality, connectivity, or even sound quality, my threshold considerations are price, power, and weight.  My 86dB-sensitivity Harbeths do best with the equivalent of a 200-300wpc solid-state unit, I need to drive a variety of analog & digital sources, hope to keep weight under 40lbs, and want to stay away from "classic" Class D designs.  Been there, done that, D simply didn't work in my system.

My question: Does anybody know of any published listing of amplifiers that compares products by weight or size?

So far, I've only found a few 15-35lb models that meet this initial filter, from sellers like Ayre, Devialet, & Bryston, and, surprisingly, even ARC.  However, there are connectivity & functionality issues that make these otherwise-terrific options a poor fit.

Any suggestions?

cundare2

No need to complicate your setup with switchers and what not. Any device you put in the signal path has the possibly (likely hood) of degrading your overall sound. Keep it simple. Plenty of great options without all the goofy stuff.

If you wire subs in parallel that aren’t designed to take a “high level” input, you will double your impedance and have a full frequency signal going to your sub, there are ways to solve these issues, but it’s clunky and won’t give you your best sound. Any amp with a pre out generally will work, or get a sub like a REL that has options for either connection type.

If anyone is interested in Devialet’s unique amplifier tech -- a new spin on other companies' less-than-perfect approach to Class AD -- here’s one of Devialet's key patents, forwarded to me by a very helpful Devialet rep.

<search for patent #US7545212B2 on Google Patents>

@geof3

Thanks for bringing up those points, but I have an engineering background, so I’m well aware. By "switcher," I was referring to placing a higher-end analog preamp in front of the Devialet, primarly to handle (or "switch") my analog sources, since a Devialet would have only one analog input in my system. The pre-amp might, e.g., be something like a Benchmark or Pass Labs. Since the Devialet digitizes all analog signals, and since any line-level analog input will have to be amplified at some point in the pre-Devialet signal path, I’m not concerned about degradation when we’re talking about a context like this. Hardly "goofy."

As for running the speakers in parallel, jeez, of course, I’d be using my sub’s high-impedance input, orders of magnitude higher than that of my loudspeakers.

The bigger issue with running two sets of speakers from the Devialet’s single set of amplified outputs is that both speakers will be playing signals that have been processed by Devialet’s SAM function. That may extend my Harbeth’s low end down an octave (I wish, but maybe) but would also alter the phase and EQ of the signal sent to my sub. What makes this a credible solution is the fact that my sub incorporates DSP-based room-correction, which Devialet believes would handle a SAM-enhanced signal as easily as one that was not. And who knows, the sub might even sound better with the Devialet’s bottom-boosted, phase-compensated output as a starting point!

But don’t get me wrong. I’m still not married to Devialet. It would be nicer, as you imply, to have a less-complicated, maybe less-expensive, one-box solution from the likes of Ayre or Hegel.

Working on my spreadsheet tonight, and what'll pop out when I can review the numbers on one page, I have no idea.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look at: Ayre EX-8 (24 pounds), Aavik I-180 or I-280 (20 pounds), Hegel H390 (40 pounds), or CODA CSiB....but that is definitely pushing it at 50 pounds.

Several people above have suggested class D amps because of their light weight.  I have owned several class D amps and do not like their sound quality.  I suggest you audition any class D amps on your list before you purchase them.