Sad news - Jay sold his new Rockport Lyra speakers

Just released, after five months of mystery, new speakers that replaced the Wilson chronosonic $350 mil speakers, that were announced with all kinds of fanfare just a few weeks ago are on their way out.

So the $200,000 Rockport lyras, we learn in a dramatic and solemn 90 minute video, were not acceptable so they had to go.

Not everyone has a forum that allows disposal of speakers as does Jay. How incredibly difficult it must be for anyone to make such a serious investment and then be disappointed. And the rest of us who didn’t buy the speakers at a discount will somehow come to terms with a $50-$80,000 loss and that’s just downright depressing.

How does one buy speakers in the vast six digits range? And then how difficult it must be to admit to yourself, and then to your wife, that you’re unhappy. And then how does one muster the courage to go on and purchase another incredibly expensive speaker. Personally I found buying every audio component incredibly annoying and challenging yet you carry on hoping the prize at the end of the unpleasant journey Will be worth it.

Personally I think all the time about upgrading my speaker and then when I see things like this I’m at a loss as to what to do. These types of miserable experiences should be Hidden from public view as it impacts all of us. It’ll be a while before I get over this, maybe I should begin focussing on my thoughts to upgrade my pre-amplifier or replace tubes on my amplifier. Or maybe I should just learn to be satisfied with what I have.

emergingsoul

@emergingsoul   

"I don’t understand I guess I’m not smart enough."

Well said, I completely agree with you.

Well, @tonywinga

Not only boats for me having the fact that I’ve purchased and sold boat not once.

If I'm not happy to sell, than I perhaps won't sell unless I'm forced to pawn it...

“Influencer”. That there’s funny. 
Influence who - those of weak mind and low self esteem? Probably not the group who considers dropping a quarter Mil on hifi speakers.

@tonywinga I smiled when I read you comment on Alan Parsons. I was probably 16 when I bought that album and thought this guy was a genius. Those were the days. Albums that were woven together using all kinds of instrument but also had a theme connecting the songs together!! Wow. Fast forward to last night. What album was I enjoying on CD? Alan Parsons Eye in the Sky. Still sounds great! The CD has cuts that my  LP doesn’t and is worth having. I enjoyed all of his works.

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I love it @corelli.  That's what the music is all about.  The other special thing about Tales of Mystery and Imagination for me is I got that Mobile Fidelity version by trading the shirt off my back for it.  I've told this story before, so i hope I'm not boring anyone.  

It was 1994, I was out in the desert doing hot fuel testing with the Ford team.  I drove to Las Vegas that afternoon to take the redeye back to Detroit so I had some time to kill.  I found a stereo store there to browse around in.  I was wearing my team golf shirt with the Bosch and Ford logos on it.  It was pretty smelly and dirty after being in the desert all day.  So I walk into the store and the owner right away tells me he likes my shirt.  He was a Ford man and he sold Blaupunkt Radios (part of Bosch).  I spotted that Alan Parson's Mobile Fidelity record on his rack and offered to trade my golf shirt for it.  He agreed so I went to the car and got another shirt to wear out of my suitcase.  He got a smelly shirt and I got a Mobile Fidelity record.  I smile every time I put that record on.