Wadia 861SE with GNSC Statement Upgrade

I would like to know the level of interest still out there for a Wadia 861SE with GNSC Statement upgrade with and without digital ins and outs.

Would like to hear the experience of those who own this particular setup too.

Thanks.
forteleza
I have a Wadia 861 SE with GNSC Statement Upgrade and have enjoyed it for several years. I have made several substantial improvements to the 861, starting with moving it from the Reference to Statement Upgrade level and adding the SE transport.

From there, I replaced a Shunyata power cable with a Virtual Dynamics Revelation Signature. This cable had a silly MSRP but it effected a tremendous overall improvement to the sound - especially smoothness and dynamics.

Not content, I put the 861 atop a Finite Elemente Master Pagode Reference rack. One more improvement.

Finally, I propped the 861 up on the Finite Elemente Cerapuc feet instead of the stock Wadia spiky feet. That was a surprisingly big improvement.

In general, each change moved the player further out of the inherent realm of digital sound and more toward a sound consistent with analog.

I cannot provide you with any meaningful insight regarding the best of the new DCS, Burmester or other really spendy digital players available. I can say, however, that with a bit of persistence and experimentation, one can make very meaningful improvements to the 861.

Don't think that because it has the SE and Statement upgrade that other details of your system can go wanting. You need to play all nine innings and do those things to feed and site the player that will let it show its best.

Steve is a terrific guy and he can help you get there. He can hear and makes good suggestions. He is also very pleasant and patient. If it is important to you to have good support, one can't do better than to have Steve behind a product you own.
Dont get me wrong Wadia is a lovely machine, just a little tired IMHO as a highend digital source. Its nearly 10 years old. So the majority of the insides were designed in the 90s. Chadeffect

But you fail to explain that although the innards are a latter design by Wadia,GNSC upgrades are still state of the art for that player,and it has only been discontinued in the past few years(861se),NOT the statement upgrade.
This from a man that uses a speaker design from "20-25 years ago"(even though you state in your system review that the Apogees have also been upgraded). Talk about comparing apples to oranges,yikes.
Aolmrd1241,

I wouldnt compare a ribbon suspended in a magnetic field to a board full of chips, power supplies, lasers, clocks, decoding software and so on.

Lets not get confused now. Yes the Apogee is an old design. Advancements in glues etc have made it possible to refine a classic design. Just have a look on the 'gon to see how many are still represented among the finest systems.

My understanding is that some components of this Wadia have been replaced. Not a redesign just some components replaced with good knowledge, and the addition of filters (bybee) in various areas to make the best of what is there.

If the player is younger than I thought...yikes!

The post asked for people with experience of this player. My experience with it over several months was ok, not the last word. Obviously you feel different. There are better players IMHO, but there always will be better whatever you have. Digital gear is moving on very quickly now. That should be celebrated.
Obviously you feel different. There are better players IMHO, "but there always will be better whatever you have." Digital gear is moving on very quickly now. That should be celebrated.
Chadeffect

Yes Chad, I certainly do like my Wadia 861se/GNSC Statement CDP.For my tastes, in my system, it most certainly fulfills my requirements.And yes, the state of the art in our hobby will always continue to advance,time waits for no one.