Audio Mirror Tubadour V

Hello Music Lovers

I have been listening to my system with the new Tubadour V Dac and can honestly say Holy Crap. Vlad has worked his magic again. I had the III and IV and they were excellent. Now V brings us to another level. Top to bottom. Width and Depth. Detail-You Bet.Fatigue-Forget about it. Just plain good to my ears. Thank you Vlad     Again!

smallmouthrule

@timski Before settling on the Toubadour V I had a Schiit Yggdrasil OG. I had previously listened to a Denafrips Aries (not sure which gen), a Weiss 204, a Gold Note IS 1000 integrated with DAC included, and a Mola Mola Makua pre with DAC included (my understanding is that this is the same Tambaqui DAC stuffed inside the Makua).

When corresponding with Vlad, I told him that the Weiss was my favorite followed by the Makua and he suggested that I would probably benefit from a more analog sounding DAC and to give the Toubadour V a shot. I’m very glad I did.

Since then I’ve compared it with a Cayin Tube DAC (forgot the model), a Merason Frerot, and a Lampizator Pacific (don’t know which gen) and I few others that I don’t particularly remember anymore, or I didn’t have enough listening time to form any meaningful opinion.

I’m buying the Cayin Tube DAC for my second system and will pass on the Okto DAC8 and the Yggdrasil to an employee shortly.

One final note, I added a Denafrips GAIA DDC to the chain and I noticed an immediate improvement with paired with the Toubadour V. I still can’t put my finger on what exactly improved, but it sounds better to my ears so far.

I forgot I had also auditioned the Chord Dave. The fact that I forgot about it shows that I was not super impressed by it at that time.

@dhungana Thanks for your detailed updates. Interesting observation of better sound with the addition of the DDC before the AM V. I have heard that Vlad is using some DDC tech in the V. Perhaps this is a case of more can't hurt, and can or should help?

@dhungana 

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences, you’ve tried quite a few DACs!  I’ve also had the Yggy and briefly auditioned a Denafrips Venus II.  I prefer the Orchid to both.

I will definetly add the Tubadour to my list of DACs to consider for purchase sometime this year.

How long would you say the Tubadour takes to warm up?  On his website, Vlad states that it should only take about 15 min to be fully warmed up.  Was wondering what your experience with this was.