Pre-amps for Leben CS-600x

Hi All,

I’ve been driving my Devore O96s with a Leben CS-600x, and it been good. Ok a lark I ordered a Bottlehead 300b preamp and amp. I received the preamp first and ran that through the Leben. It was revelatory. The sound was open, imaging was better, and it had an immersive quality it didn’t have before. I received the amp and it pales in comparison to the Bottlehead Leben combo. 

This has raised the question about what an every better preamp could do. Do you have any suggestions for a preamp that might make the Leben even more magical? 

Thank you!

markimiller

A lot depends on how much you want to spend on a preamp?

How about a link to the preamp you purchased?

apt Holman if one is on a budget ... almost instrument like in quality!

Bryston always talked about

Backert .... Pre amps are all they do 

Audible Illusions

VAC

ARC ... frankly the apt challenges all of them; if not betters.  For the $ nothing better.

Mark Levinson ML-4 or a pair of ML-6’s! Then you might as well get a pair of ML-2 amps to replace the Leben and Bottlehead.

Interesting thread - I've had some of the same thoughts. I've played with thought of adding either a Leben RS-100-U or a Yamamoto CA-04, so I'm looking forward to hearing what's being suggested.

A question:
When you use the preamplifier, I assume you use the pre amp in connection. Does this mean that the signal by-passes the tone and balance controls? Or are these still active?

I wonder if the preamp stage is completely bypassed or still active too.

@lak i really like the Bottlehead preamp. Maybe I should stay with it. It was relatively cheap and bested the preamp section of the Leben. But as an audiophile the little voice always starts asking questions.